12/24 question-again

• Joe Bara

I currently have a 24 volt setup for my electric trolling motor. I will be adding a Minn Kota anchormate (12 volt). Can I wire the anchormate directly to one of the two batteries? Don’t want o extend the wiring from/to the starting battery.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I’m going to say NO… here’s why.
    As long as there is a + to a – connecting the two batteries, you have 24v.
    You can test this with a volt meter.12 is 12 and 24 is 24 … not interchangeable…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I don’t play an electrician on the internet…so use a volt meter and place one lead on the + side of a battery and the other on the – side of the same battery.

If it reads 24v’s please disregard this post.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Across EITHER one of the batteries there will be 12 volts. Across BOTH batteries there will be the full 24 volts. So you do have 12 volts available from either battery.

This should work, with a couple of conditions. If the trolling motor or anchormate have an electrical connection to each other or through the hull, that could cause problems. If they’re isolated you’re good to go. Secondly, if you do this you’ll be drawing more power from one battery than the other, so they won’t be draining and recharging equally. That isn’t the end of the world but it’s not great either.

SR

Iowaboy1

if this will make sense to you,you can pull twelve volts from the first battery if you use its positive and negative post only.
    you only get twenty four volts at the downstream end of the two batteries when wired in series.

however,I would install a heavy duty diode inline with the anchor mates power wire just in case you would happen to short out the twenty four volt side.

if you are unsure of how to do it,pm me and I will walk you through it over the phone.
    that said,if you have any fear of doing it at all,get some heavy gauge wire and run it to your starting battery,with a fuse of course.

Iowaboy1

Steve,we must have replied at the same time,good info for him to know in the latter part of your reply.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’m convinced that the whole world is waiting for someone to come up with a good, high capacity, light weight and inexpensive battery that doesn’t start on fire.

SR

Iowaboy1

I’m convinced that the whole world is waiting for someone to come up with a good, high capacity, light weight and inexpensive battery that doesn’t start on fire.

SR

isnt cold fusion still in there somewhere also???????????? doah

Joe Bara

if this will make sense to you,you can pull twelve volts from the first battery if you use its positive and negative post only.
    you only get twenty four volts at the downstream end of the two batteries when wired in series.

however,I would install a heavy duty diode inline with the anchor mates power wire just in case you would happen to short out the twenty four volt side.

Is the heavy duty diode you refer to a circuit breaker? I have a 60 amp fuse breaker.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I want a 22 foot boat, 300 hp engine, 15hp kicker, 36volt trolling motor, and multiple electronics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, all running on 3 gallons of gas in a 14 hour fishing trip covering 60 miles of water.

What’s wrong with these designers and engineers these days? Geesh

basseyes

I want a 22 foot boat, 300 hp engine, 15hp kicker, 36volt trolling motor, and multiple electronics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, all running on 3 gallons of gas in a 14 hour fishing trip covering 60 miles of water.

What’s wrong with these designers and engineers these days? Geesh

Ain’t that the truth.

Oh and can I tow it with a car, can the 5 batteries have lifetime warranties, the 4 hubs be maintenance free for life, the 4 tires be 500,000 mile tires that are run flats, the motor be worry free and can the gas pump pay me when filling up?

Iowaboy1

Joe,a diode is a circuit protection device that only allows current to go one way.
    the only reason I suggest it is in case something would happen that would cause reverse current flow that would fry your anchor mate,ie,hooking the charger up backwards,( not likely I know,but ) or charger failure.
    not really necessary,just cheap insurance.

and to add to the fun being had by others,why cant we have outboards that never need water pump impellers,or fuel related problems???
    someone out there surely has a million dollar idea!!

Joe Bara

Joe,a diode is a circuit protection device that only allows current to go one way.

Where can I get one and what size should I use?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.