100lb propane tanks on their side?

• Reef W

I know you aren’t supposed to put them on their side but what’s the real risk if you have the cap installed over the valve? I usually get them delivered, because I have a topper on my truck (and I’m lazy), but am just wondering what you could actually do in an emergency where you needed to transport one.

Coletrain27

lay it in its side and strap it down and make sure it has a cap installed. its not going to hurt anything

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

but what’s the real risk if you have the cap installed over the valve?

The risk is in the position of the safety valve.
    This brief paragraph addresses the concerns when transporting. (even though it is written about fork trucks)

Though forklift cylinders are designed to be used in the horizontal position, make sure customers know the cylinders should still be transported in the vertical position. When secured to a forklift, there is a pin that locks the cylinder into a specific position, keeping the pressure relief valve in the vapor space of the cylinder. If transported on its side, the cylinder may roll and shift the pressure relief valve to the bottom, in the liquid space of the cylinder.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ll just leave this here.

Reef W

Thanks for the warnings. Turns out leaving the heat on in cabin for the last week didn’t use as much as I thought it might and we’ll be fine until Monday when they’ll come drop off two new tanks.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

What would have cause the initial ignition?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’m far from an expert in this area, but when we first got the cabin we would haul those lp tanks laying down and strapped down BUT we made sure the cap was securely on.

I wouldn’t call it a general rule but those are usually hauled and stored up right

I welded for alot of years using coverage gas. Most wasn’t flammable, but when there full that’s somewhere around 2300 lbs of pressure, caps needed to be on to protect the valve, like propane or you had an aweful powerful missile

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.