Looking at the forecast holy buckets

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Looking at the 10-day forecast mid 30s this week increasing to 40s and then 50s. I am shocked! I got out ice fishing this past weekend but I wouldn’t want to be one of the guys who just got their permanent house out. Looking like a very short ice fishing season, at least for me.

Dan
    Southeast MN

There was discussion in a previous thread about how much ice can be made with single digit or below temperatures (this was way back when temps were very cold….like a week ago). Maybe someone can now post a new graph with how quickly we’ll lose that ice jester

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The local ski hill down here just opened 6 or 7 days ago. They’re going to be losing some $$$ this year for sure. The snow can take some rainfall and warm temps when it’s piled up, but spread relatively thin to cover runs it gets ugly fast.

I’m personally fine with it. The fish are still there on the river whether from a boat or ice and it makes it a little easier to get some spring projects done when Spring starts the first week of February.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

After the beating we took last winter, I’m honestly happy with this winter. Sucks the ice has been so bad, but I honestly haven’t missed it all that much.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

With the upcoming snow melt, some of the rivers will open up and cause issues on the flowages here by the end of next week

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Good for wildlife. Otherwise I hate it.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

The lake I fished was a small lake near Brainerd. It had a consistent 11 inches. However that’s still not enough for me for wheelhouses, yet there were a couple that had just got pulled out. Thinking they better yank them by this weekend or asking for trouble.

Charles

The lake I fished was a small lake near Brainerd. It had a consistent 11 inches. However that’s still not enough for me for wheelhouses, yet there were a couple that had just got pulled out. Thinking they better yank them by this weekend or asking for trouble.

It is amazing how many people are driving on 11″ of ice and pulling there ice castle. 371 Bay looks like a parking lot lol.

I think there forecast rain for the Jaycee tournament lol.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

There was discussion in a previous thread about how much ice can be made with single digit or below temperatures (this was way back when temps were very cold….like a week ago). Maybe someone can now post a new graph with how quickly we’ll lose that ice jester

I don’t think a week or so of warmer weather will negatively effect the ice thickness all that much, but it sure will not help to increase it either. I guess it will all depend on things like sun and wind. I know in the spring for ice out warm + Wind is the real killer of ice. The first few days will do little more than melt the show on top of the ice before it will start to actually work on the ice itself.
    Looking like a real sad season for all those wheeled house owners. They will be lucky to get more than 2-3 weeks of use this winter the way its looking.
    Overall I’m not that unhappy about the winter so far. It feels like its half over at this point and other than a week or so cold snap, its been really mind

ThunderLund78

Will hopefully be a good break for the struggling Northern MN Deer Herd. (Not looking to start a wolf convo)

But I’m also not missing the hard water as much as I thought. I’ll take this winter any year.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I was thinking this too. Bad news if you like to ski, snowmobile (you), or ice fish. Great news if you’re a deer, turkey, or pheasant.

MSP has recorded a grand total of 7.3 inches of snow this “winter.” Last year by this time there was already 50 inches of snow recorded. Ironically, even though we are way behind on snow, we’re ahead on overall moisture because of that big rain event on Christmas. 3 inches of rain is approximately 3 feet of snow.

Winter’s over. Get your boats ready for spring.

tswoboda

Bad news if you like to ski, snowmobile (you), or ice fish.

In my garage I have a snowmobile, 10 pairs of skis, 5 pairs of snowshoes, a few augers and fish houses, more ice rods than I can count, and an ice rink in my front yard. I miss winter cry

Great news if you’re a deer, turkey, or pheasant.

Or a tick

Ripjiggen

I’m in the middle.
    The rink in back yard I got up early and used more than most.
    Buddies just flooded las week.
    Ice fished a couple times, but got a new boat last September that I can’t wait to get back into.

I have a feeling winter is not over, but I guess we will see.

Great news if you are my snowblower as that is getting a year of no abuse.

haleysgold
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>

Great news if you’re a deer, turkey, or pheasant.

Or a tick

I pulled 4 of them little Bass-turds off the dog less than 2 weeks ago.

Riverrat

Its been raining up here in West Central MN. Not real heavy more like a mist, but if it rains again like before christmas that ice will dissolve real quick. A little wind and the 10 inch average will be gone in no time. I’m not gonna be suckered into thinking winter is over though, (but I might hit that river bank for a few casts).

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Boat is going in the water tomorrow. Winter has been a long 2 weeks without boating. Dang near went ice fishing last weekend.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Planning to get it fishing locally this weekend. Weather is supposed to be nice and it could be ending quickly.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

In my garage I have a snowmobile, 10 pairs of skis, 5 pairs of snowshoes, a few augers and fish houses, more ice rods than I can count, and an ice rink in my front yard. I miss winter

I honestly do feel bad for people who rely on winter weather for their livelihood though. Its a bad situation this time around for many places.

Even the pond hockey tournament on Nokomis looks awful, like you stated in another thread. Its a big event with people coming from distance away to compete. Unfortunately that’s how it goes sometimes and there’s not much we can do about it.

We’ll see what happens with the Brainerd Jaycees event. They already postponed that event by 2 weeks because of unsafe ice. I have a feeling they may completely cancel it if they can’t do it on Feb 3.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I invested a lot into my ice camping setup this year. With me tearing a leg muscle in November ive been waiting for ice to be good enough for quads to get out fishing. Doesn’t look like I’ll get much of a chance to use it. Oh well, coaching basketball takes up a lot of my free time as it is

CaptainMusky

Low snow is very bad for grouse. They dive into the deep snow to avoid predators. Probably wont be a good season next year.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

My friend is stationed on LOTW north of Warroad. We talked on Monday, 11 inches of ice, Ice covered with snow and already heaving from the warmup. Said he doubted the resort would even plow a road this year. With mid 40’s forecasted for next week I doubt that I’ll even get the wheel house out this year. Well, might be early ice out this year!

FinnyDinDin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

Low snow is very bad for grouse. They dive into the deep snow to avoid predators. Probably wont be a good season next year.

Snow is much more important for grouse and pheasants to burrow in to get insulation from the cold. When we get a winter like this with no snow then a cold snap like we had last week upland are gonna die.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Boat is going in the water tomorrow. Winter has been a long 2 weeks without boating. Dang near went <em class=”ido-tag-em”>ice fishing last weekend.

I thought you only ice fished while sitting in the seat of your automobile? cool

FinnyDinDin

This winter has been great. Ice fishing only started about a week behind. The slow freeze kept people off the ice which is great. Most lakes have been a ghost town. I have been out and about on an atv for a month and a half so travel has been easy. Just got out on the ice with the truck last weekend but most lakes probably won’t have trucks all year. Again a good thing, keep lazy people home. I have only snow blowed once. Last winter I snow blowed multiple times per week. If we don’t get spring snow I should be able to get the boat out early. There are rumors of super steep discounts coming on new snowmobile inventory so I might be able to pick up a brand new one for the cost that people were paying for used just a couple years ago.

My glass is half full. peace

Only drawback is it’s not looking good for ice fishing superior even over in the islands but that should only help the spring bite.

isu22andy

My prediction is cold snap 15th of February . Back on the ice Feb 22nd . No science with this guess.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Belle’s coming to town for 10 days, arriving tomorrow.
    The plan was to take her snowmobiling and ice fishing for her first time.

Looks more like it will be more like pull tab and Corona weather. doah toast rotflol

CaptainMusky

Cant go wrong with Pulltabs. Corona on the other hand, you have better options.

Charles

Looks like tomorrow will be the deciding date for the Jaycees andthey are going to make an announcement

B-man

The deer really needed a mild winter waytogo

The fish on high pressured lakes will appreciate an abbreviated ice season as well.

If you can’t find something to do you’re not trying hard enough.

I’m headed to Canada Friday-Monday to chase Lakers on snowmobiles. We had to postpone our New Year’s trip for safe ice, but we lucked out with super mild spell to do it (we run and gun without shacks despite the temperatures).

The following weekend is already shaping up to be warm as well. If the wind cooperates I’m planning on taking the Grady out on Superior both days yay

I haven’t had her out since December 29th and she’s begging to go!

tswoboda

I’m headed to Canada Friday-Monday to chase Lakers on snowmobiles. We had to postpone our New Year’s trip for safe ice, but we lucked out with super mild spell to do it (we run and gun without shacks despite the temperatures).

We do the same, except I was up 2 weeks ago… 3 days high temp was -6 and the killer was wind blowing 10-15 every day. After 20 years of fishing them in January I finally succumbed to a portable on the last day. Kicker was we still didn’t have enough ice to fish where we want peace

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 381 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.