Rod Building: Walleye Rod Jigging Recipe

Rod Building: Walleye Rod Jigging Recipe

• Obsession
    Maple Grove

Looking for blank and guide train recommendations for an elite performance vertical jigging rod. I intend to use this rod exclusively for:
    • 1/8 – 1/4 oz jigs
    • 6 – 8 lbs. test line (Fireline)
    • vertical jigging in 8-22 FOW

My research has pointed toward the St. Croix SCV610MLXF blank…but those seem to be completely sold out. I’d truly appreciate advice from those who’ve created similar builds!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Try the Batson Rainshadow IMMWS72ML You can leave it at 7’2″ or cut the butt down to 6′ 10″. Or the MHX 7’0″ Med-Light Elite-X Rod Blank – NSJ842-MHX

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

St. Croix stopped selling their blanks years ago. Their sister company is called rodgeeks. These are the blanks that are now offered that are made by St. Croix. Thorne brothers also has their blanks made by St. Croix. There are many great blanks out there. I have built on Rainshadow, American Tackle, North Fork Composites, Point Blank, Elliot, Phenix, Liberty, Thorne Brothers, rodgeeks, and Lamiglas. What is your price point for just the blank and desired length? To me there is more to it than just slapping guides on a blank to make a great rod. What I think makes a great rod might be different than yours and there are many different variables. Just guide selection and placement can change a blanks action.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

double post

Obsession
    Maple Grove

I’d like to stay around $150 for the blank. Length range 6’9 – 7’.

tswoboda

Blanks:
    North Fork X-Ray SB-683 or SB-682 (682 would be my choice for top of the line)
    Croix SCV66MLF (better light jig blank than the 610mlxf but also sold out)
    RodGeeks C466MLF (think Croix legend tournament)
    Rainshadow IMMWS62MXF (designed for exactly what you are looking for)
    Rainshadow IMMWS72ML (better for rigging/bobber rod, but many people seem to like it for jigging)
    Rainshadow IMMWS62L (my personal favorite rod, but I only jig shallow water with 1/16 & 1/8 oz)

Guides:
    Fuji Alconite KL (best value guides in my opinion)
    Pac Bay Minima (very cheap, and very light)

16H-8H-5.5M-5 runners (1000 size reel) – you should be using 1000 size reel for walleye jigging
    20H-10H-5.5M-5 runners (2500 size reel)

St. Croix stopped selling their blanks years ago. Their sister company is called rodgeeks. These are the blanks that are now offered that are made by St. Croix.

You can still buy the Croix labelled scV blanks through RodGeeks.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I didn’t know that and will have to look into it. Thank you.

Brady Valberg

6″10″ Elliot mlxf is an awesome jig pitching rod I absolutely love it. Very versatile too I’ve throw 1/4 all the way to 1/16 with it. Will say the immws72ml from rainshadow is an extremely close 2nd. The immortal seems on the softer side of a med light so I tend to use that for 1/8 and less but will handle larger. I 2nd the high frame guides, if you want black vs the corrosion control or an actual polished frame the American tackle tiforged guides have been nothing short of fuji as well in my experience.

tswoboda

I must be the only person who really doesn’t care for the Rainshadow IMMWS72MLF blank for jigging. I think it’s a good all arounder for rigging/slip bobbers/micro cranks but I really don’t like it for jigging.

If I were to build a rod today for walleye jigging 1/8-1/4, and money were no object, it would be:
    NFC SB-682
    Fuji Alconites KL 16H-8H-5.5M and KT 5 runners and LG tip top
    Fuji Skeleton seat with carbon insert and NFC carbontex grips
    Total material cost around $200
    You could swap the Alconites for Titanium Torzite if you want the absolute best but that adds over $100 in just guides for very little gain IMO.

If I wanted to go cheap it would be:
    Rainshadow IMMWS62MXF
    Pac Bay Minima 16M-8M-6 and F5 runners and tip top
    Carbon tube Tennessee split grip
    Total material cost a little over $100

I would not go cheaper on a jigging blank than RS Immortal or Rodgeeks C4

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Bummer. They don’t sell a large verity of the blanks. At least they don’t offer the ones I want.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

Bummer. They don’t sell a large verity of the blanks. At least they don’t offer the ones I want.

Yeah I should have said you can still buy SOME Croix SCV blanks through RodGeeks. Which ones were you looking for?

I’ve been eyeballing RodGeeks blanks for years but never pulled the trigger. Also been emailing them about 4x per year requesting carbon 4 muskie blanks lol – highly encourage everyone else to do the same! lol

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I’ve been eyeballing RodGeeks blanks for years but never pulled the trigger. Also been emailing them about 4x per year requesting carbon 4 muskie blanks lol – highly encourage everyone else to do the same! lol

That’s funny you say that. I have emailed them 3 time about offering carbon 4 muskie blanks. I was looking for an ultra light and light. You know. Always building and trying new stuff. I do like the color options they offer and everyone has liked the action of the rods I build of their blanks. This is one of my favorites that I did.

Attachments:
    1. Tiny-Rodwork-Fire-Fishing-Rod-scaled.jpg

Obsession
    Maple Grove

Has anyone built on the MHX NP842 blank?

It seems very similar to the Elliott SJ610ML-XF….but I can’t find any reviews or forum comments about the NP842-MHX.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Unless it is a unique blank I don’t build on MHX blanks. Most of MHX blanks are made by Batson Enterprises who also makes Rainshadow. You can skip the middleman and get a better blank for the $ by looking at the Rainshadow line. Elliott has his blanks made by St. Croix. I have held the NP842 blank and like the Elliott blank better. The extra 2” on the NP842 blank gives it a little slower action. The backbone is not in the same spot either. The recovery on the SJ610ML-XF is much quicker. I didn’t like the way the MHX blank felt for a jigging rod. That blank would be better for rigging or small crankbaits. IMO

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.