Zum's wonderful water temp

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I fished the lake last week and found a decent bite with water temps hovering at about 45-46 degrees at five feet of depth. Then Easter handed us 10″ of snow and three nights of record setting low temps. I gave the late a few casts this morning while the thermometer soaked in five feet again. After an hour in the water the best I could find was 39 degrees. Now I know why I had no hits.

JDO24

Thanks for the update! That’s a crazy drop but hopefully this next week will have it back warming up quickly. Are you fishing from shore? I’ll probably head out there this weekend.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Right now I’m doing a shore spot.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Yep- had up to 55 deg water in some backwaters on the river and now back to 42. I was just finding a few nice crappies and then a kick right in the pants!

Jeff B.

Anybody going out to give it try today. Hoping to get out this afternoon.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

It’ll be a windy dog but the temps show shoot up pretty good in shallow areas.

Jeff B.

Nothin doing yesterday. Water temps were 46 to 47 in shallows. Going to try again today. 😁

Jeff B.

Nothin doing yesterday. Water temps were 46 to 47 in shallows. Going to try again today. 😁

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That north wind really sucks today. Makes it darned chilly even in the sun when the clouds haven’t got it covered.

Jeff B.

Anybody been on Zumbro. Was out the other day and marked fish but nothing caught. Water temps were between 52 and 54

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We fished quite early yesterday and did well.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Tom, you are the LZ master! I went 2 days ago 1-6pm and only got bit once. tried pitching all sorts of shoreline anywhere from 2′ in Ryans bay to rock walls along docks and nothing. As many times I go there, I would think I could get into a school but never even mark schools. I probably threw plastics for 4 hours, vertical jiggin raps for an hour(which got me bit) and drove around the lake wondering where to fail at next! anyway dock is in and a beautiful day!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

From what I have personally experienced this spring it is very spot specific for decent bites. In other years when water temps are in the mid fifties anywhere on the lake the temps are in the mid-fifties just about everywhere on the lake. AND, by the time we start seeing temps in the water of 50 degrees those huge pods of fish have begun to break up and start this shift to early pre-spawn locations. While they’ll not likely be shallow they will be in the deeper waters very near where they’re going to spawn and will be quite catchable. This year is different with the fish really being hot in a spot or two but not the whole lake.

Some waxies were tried as a meat offering yesterday by my buddy and he stubbed his toe with that move. The crappies yesterday were very color and size specific, and by adding the waxies he literally cut off his hits even when he had the color and the size. The waxies just shut him down.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.