Your chainsaw tech tip for the day.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

With fall and winter coming and time to clear the trails at the hunting property, etc, I know a lot of you use chainsaws.

Just wanted to share this little tech tip. I get a lot of saws in where the owner’s complaint is that the chain keeps coming off. Usually they try to over-tighten it to stop the problem, but the chain tension isn’t the problem.

If your saw is constantly throwing off chains, 90% of the time the problem is the drive sprocket is shot. If you inspect it carefully, you’ll see deep wear marks in the teeth of the drive sprocket. That’s what’s causing the chainsaw to throw the chain.

The first picture shows a new drive sprocket on the left and the worn out one on the right. Look at the deep grooves in the teeth !

The next picture just shows the wear on a well-past-its-prime drive sprocket.

Replacing the sprocket is not expensive and should be done as part of normal maintenance BEFORE they get as bad as the picture shows. The clutch bearing should ALWAYS be replaced at the same time and, of course, the clutch itself should be inspected for wear and replaced if needed.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20230827_160059657-scaled.jpg

2. IMG_20230827_160136066-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I eat through drive sprockets once a week with the Husqvarna. No tree cutting. Just lots of concrete

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230830_110026_Photos.jpg

2. 20230711_100938-scaled.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I eat through drive sprockets once a week with the Husqvarna. No tree cutting. Just lots of concrete

Yes, I’m sure the hours and abrasive grit don’t do anything to help the service of parts.

On consumer machines, I notice that guys tend to over-tighten their chains. This produces a lot of premature wear on the bar, clutch bearing, and drive sprocket. I suspect that the guy who owned the saw with the drive sprocket in the pictures was wau over tightening the chain from day 1 to produce this wear.

Gitchi Gummi

Thanks for posting Grouse. I bought a husky 445 a couple years ago and use it a little bit each year for clearing shooting lanes and trails around where we deer hunt. It doesn’t get a lot of use on it but it runs great. However, the thing has been throwing its chain since day 1 and I could never figure out why. I’d put a new chain on and it’d fly off within 15-20 min of use. Throw a new chain on and the same thing would happen.

Its the first chainsaw I’ve ever owned so its been a little bit of a learning process. I’m going to check my drive sprocket this weekend and see what it looks like. I swore I wasn’t overtightening but maybe I was. I read the manual and watched a bunch of videos on tightening and thought I was doing it right. The husky 445 only has one bar nut whereas almost all other chainsaws have 2, so I thought by only having one bar nut, maybe it wasn’t able to keep the bar (and thus chain) tight.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Yes, I’m sure the hours and abrasive grit don’t do anything to help the service of parts.

On consumer machines, I notice that guys tend to over-tighten their chains. This produces a lot of premature wear on the bar, clutch bearing, and drive sprocket. I suspect that the guy who owned the saw with the drive sprocket in the pictures was wau over tightening the chain from day 1 to produce this wear.

For chain tightness I was always taught I should be able to slip my credit card between the chain and bottom of the bar. Is this a correct tightness on a typical chain saw.

robby
    Quad Cities

Thanks Grouse!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’m going to check my drive sprocket this weekend and see what it looks like. I swore I wasn’t overtightening but maybe I was. I read the manual and watched a bunch of videos on tightening and thought I was doing it right. The husky 445 only has one bar nut whereas almost all other chainsaws have 2, so I thought by only having one bar nut, maybe it wasn’t able to keep the bar (and thus chain) tight.

I have a 445, so I can tell you it’s not a characteristic of the saw to lose chains like that. A couple of thoughts in addition to inspecting the drive sprocket for wear.

1. Inspect the bar. Pay special attention to the area at the top of the bar where the chain comes off of the drive sprocket right where it enters the groove that runs down the middle of the bar. Look at this area both with a chain still on, just after you remove the side cover and then again with the chain off and the bar removed. This “entry area” can become worn or it can be damaged by a chain slipping off.

Also, inspect the nose of the bar. If there is a burr you can feel or the nose radius is visibly worn, the bar must be replaced.

Look at the groove in the bar. The groove should be an even width the whole length of the bar. If there are “wide spots” in the groove when viewed from above, it’s worn.

BTW, you should be flipping your bar over every time you change your chain. This makes for even wear on both sides of the bar and therefore you get more life out of your bar. A lot of people don’t know this, several people have pointed out to me that “my bar is on upside down”.

2. When tensioning the chain, the tension must be set with the bar nuts on just a little tighter than finger tight AND the bar needs to be lifted upward during the tensioning process. If you don’t lift the bar upward while tensioning and tightening the bar nut(s), the chain will slack as soon as the saw is started.

3. I tension the chain and test it like this. After setting the tension, I pull upward on the chain allowing it to bow under the weight of the saw. I’m doing this in the middle of the bar, BTW. So to me, the right tension is such that I can pull the chain upward off the bar and I can see about 3/4 of the height of the drive link (the “tooth” that runs in the bar groove). If I can pull the chain such that the drive link is totally out of the bar, it’s too loose. If lifting the chain doesn’t expose the drive link at al all, IMO that’s too tight.

Also, IMO, the chain is too tight if I can’t pinch it with my fingers and slide it easily down the bar.

Gitchi Gummi

thanks for the tips grouse. I’ll check out the bar and everything else over the weekend. Now that I think back about it, I’m pretty sure the reason I got the 445 was based on your recommendation.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Tech tip of the day. AVOID concrete chain saws if you can. Hire it out.
    30 inch poured wall, chasing corners with 32 inch bar and chain. 18 gpm hydraulic chain saw. Red lake nation mpls.

Attachments:
    1. 20230907_071138-scaled.jpg

2. 20230907_072107-scaled.jpg

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

30 inch poured wall, chasing corners with 32 inch bar and chain. 18 gpm hydraulic chain saw. Red lake nation mpls.

That’s why you get paid the big bucks. By the way this is your boss get off your phone. lol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

That’s why you get paid the big bucks. By the way this is your boss get off your phone. lol

I’m waiting paitently for a tower crane pick. Then it’ll be back to chop chop action.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Now thats a saw holy sh!t !!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.