Your Boat Ever Look Like This??

• BrianF

Mid-way thru my lithium batt/lithium charger conversion…

Attachments:
    1. 70252927795__B193908F-463A-46F6-A102-2C36A80ADF9D-scaled.jpeg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Nope… UFFDA… have fun devil rotflol rotflol

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Some professional you are…..I can’t see the duct tape anywhere!!! whistling

Lou W

Where were the 1/2” drive deepwell impact sockets used?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Where were the 1/2” drive deepwell impact sockets used?

You don’t want to know! devil

I could see myself doing that a few years ago. Now days, not so much. I could do it, I’d just be slower at it.

MX1825

You have 2 tools out that a person has to have, but I hate to use.
    A vise grip and channel lock pliers. They have screwed up more nuts and bolts than anyone can count.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

You have 2 tools out that a person has to have, but I hate to use.
    A vise grip and channel lock pliers. They have screwed up more nuts and bolts than anyone can count.

don’t use them on nuts and bolts silly!! devil whistling rotflol

BrianF

Nothing on this project has gone easily or smoothly… This is a 20 year old boat. Unlike today’s boats, the compartments are small, dark, and not easily accessible. The wiring is old, chaotic, and not marked. Everything needed to be replaced. One thing lead to two others. Seven trips to the marine or hardware store were required for needed supplies and tools. As frustrating and time consuming as it was, I’m glad I did it. If things go south while on the water, I’ll have a decent idea where to look.

MX1825

Glenn not talking about me. When I had the shop trying to fix stuff that idiots who already had used them. doah flame
    I live in farm country. Years ago farmers carried a vise grip in their pliers pocket of their jeans. doah

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Yes it has looked like that. It sucked when I was doing it. Happy I did do it. Great time to check everything else when it is open.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Me too, every spring.

Red Eye

Just got done last weekend. Added a 80amph lithium for a dedicated graph battery and installed NOCO 4 bank charger. I like doing projects like this but don’t think my knees could handle it for a living.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Installing a new auto electric drain plug ? doah crazy devil jester

BrianF

Follow-up: While expensive, frustrating, and time consuming the project I undertook was well worth the down sides. Case in point: After 7 hours on the water today, my two newly-installed impulse lithium TM batts showed 94% charge remaining and the starting batt had 91%. These batts hadn’t been plugged-in to charge after the last trip out. The newly released installed Power Pole Charge seems to be doing a good job of charging on-the-run.

Removing 140 lbs of battery weight also increased my top end speed 2-3 mph. It’s like my old Ranger 621 has been given the equivalent of a heart transplant! And…this new system should last for the next 10 years, without ever being touched.

In the end, the completed project has left me with a very satisfying feeling – which us old guys don’t get a lot these days. Once the pain of paying for and installing the darn thing is over, everything about the new power system is significantly better than the old power system; as in, way WAY better.

BrianF

More boat projects today…

Goodbye squeaky creaky old Fortrex. You’ve served me well. Time to start trying to keep up with the Jones’.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1297-scaled.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Is that a metric vise grips?

Baitwaster
    South metro

There’s a boat in that pic?

For the record – that’s a left handed vise grip…

MX1825

It’s a universal one size fits all vise grip. devil

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yes but my work station is always a little more organized, your boat would drive me nuts

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Follow-up: While expensive, frustrating, and time consuming the project I undertook was well worth the down sides. Case in point: After 7 hours on the water today, my two newly-installed impulse lithium TM batts showed 94% charge remaining and the starting batt had 91%. These batts hadn’t been plugged-in to charge after the last trip out. The newly released installed Power Pole Charge seems to be doing a good job of charging on-the-run.

Removing 140 lbs of battery weight also increased my top end speed 2-3 mph. It’s like my old Ranger 621 has been given the equivalent of a heart transplant! And…this new system should last for the next 10 years, without ever being touched.

In the end, the completed project has left me with a very satisfying feeling – which us old guys don’t get a lot these days. Once the pain of paying for and installing the darn thing is over, everything about the new power system is significantly better than the old power system; as in, way WAY better.

so i got to ask since i see it brought up all the time. is gaining 2-3 mph that important? is it because more is better or so those big glass boats can get up on plane faster loaded with 4 guys and gear? i fish alone or with my pooch 95% of the time in a tin boat with a little 150 yammy and i don’t even remember if i ever pushed the shifter all the way down yet!

BrianF

The speed increase isn’t the main reason I went with lithiums, but it is one of many.

BC, my boat doesn’t always look like this! Only during these major projects. For an old gal, she cleans up nicely afterwards.

CBMN
    North Metro

Brian, I would say you are passing up the Jones’s. Power pole move is the apparently the best tm made. Done a little research but that is out of my budget range. Hope it works great for you.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.