Young girl killed in a hit and run by the red door.

• ski junkie
    Grantsburg, Wisc

That is so sad.
    Prayers for her family.

404 ERROR
    MN

I hate reading this kind of stuff, it goes to show that anything tragic can happen in the blink of an eye. I sure hope they solve this quickly…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That photo accompanying the story. *sigh*

I am ready to unplug from the news and online.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I learned of this late Friday night and ironically traveled that road just this past Saturday, the next day. There are no shoulders on the side of that road and many blind curves. I was pulling my boat and some guy who felt he “needed” to pass me and by the time he went around my rig he was already headed into a blind bend in the road. Always wonder why such the hurry? This was very near where the hit and run accident occurred. Still no excuses, whoever struck that child must’ve know they hit something and it was not dark yet. Very sad cry …we can only hope that the person responsible finds their conscience and guilt emotions and comes forward!

mr-special
    MPLS

very sad, prayer to her family and hope they get justice n closure

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

There are no shoulders on the side of that road and many blind curves.

Early reports out last weekend stated they were looking for a white pickup pulling a 5th wheel camper. Not sure why they didn’t include that info in this press release?? There is a good possibility the driver had no idea of hitting something. Anyway, Mille Lacs area campers should be on the lookout for a camper with damage on the front side of camper (passenger side of truck) White pickup with a 5th wheel hook up in the box.

http://www.startribune.com/state-patrol-calls-on-public-s-help-to-solve-hit-and-run-crash-that-killed-10-year-old-girl-in-aitkin-county-friday-night/383015711/

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

That photo accompanying the story. *sigh*

I am ready to unplug from the news and online.

I hear ya, Pug. That story out of Florida today about the 2 year old killed by the gator is horrifying. How will those parents ever sleep again?

-J.

prieser
    Byron, MN

Terrible news, just plain terrible. I hope they find some answers soon. Prayers for the family.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I hear ya, Pug. That story out of Florida today about the 2 year old killed by the gator is horrifying. How will those parents ever sleep again?

-J.

Yeah, I don’t understand that one. Most people who vacation in Florida have a healthy, if not over the top, fear of alligators. I hate to judge though, I wasn’t there, but I do wonder.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Update !!

Two individuals are in custody at the Aitkin County Jail in connection with a hit-and-run incident June 10 on Hwy. 18 in southern Aitkin County, which took the life of Caylin Donovan, 10, Lake Park.
    Lt. Joe Dwyer, State Patrol Dist. 2800, confirmed that a male and female from the twin cities area have been transported to the Aitkin County Jail.
    UPDATE: Steven Lee Meier, 44, and Deborah Lynn Chandler, 45, were arrested in Hastings following a State Patrol investigation. They are awaiting formal charges by the Aitkin County Attorney.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Kudo’s State Patrol!

If these people knew they hit her and ran, I hope the see the inside of a prison for a very long time.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Yes, Due process must run it’s course but the fact they have been arrested with charges pending would most likely indicate that they have something that would lead to more than striking something or someone totally unaware. I could not live with myself nor sleep at night knowing I was responsible without coming forward or being accountable. That would be a life imprisonment all on it’s own.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Update on the story from today’s Star Tribune.

By Paul Walsh Star Tribune
    June 22, 2016 — 10:58am
    A Hastings man was charged Wednesday in the hit-and-run death of a 10-year-old girl along a highway near Lake Mille Lacs.

Steven L. Meier, 44, was charged in Aitkin County District Court with two counts of criminal vehicular homicide, one for leaving the scene on June 10 and another for failing to notify law enforcement of the collision that killed Caylin Donovan, of Lake Park, Minn.

A woman who lives with Meier and was arrested at the same time as him remains jailed but has not been charged.

The charges against Meier note that a fresh tire mark on Caylin’s thigh was a match with a tire on a boat trailer that Meier was towing at the time. Also, the court document continued, DNA retrieved from the trailer by investigators was a match with Caylin.

Meier and the woman were arrested after a tip from the public, according to the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.

Caylin was hit just before 8 p.m. along Hwy. 18 near the lake, about 10 miles from Garrison.

Meier was scheduled to make his first court appearance later Wednesday.

-J.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

To bad aitkin does not do public hangings anymore. Evidence that he was scrubbing the trailer and lied about hitting anything. What type of person thinks they can go through a normal life after doing something like this?

bigcrappie
    Blaine

He has a long list of speeding and DUI tickets, I am sure they were drinking. Sad Sad indeed.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Must have been drinking or he (they) would have stopped (at least a normal law-abiding citizen would have stopped…) So sad…RR

hunterjoe
    Twin Cities

Reading that Kare11 piece just made me sick to my stomach. This is very disturbing.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

What is wrong with people? It is bad enough that there is one person responsible for this but to have 2 d-bags involved in this cover up and acting as if nothing happened is unbelievable. Pretty impressive police work too. Prayers to the family of that poor little girl.

Pauleye
    Onamia

Reading that Kare11 piece just made me sick to my stomach. This is very disturbing.

X2

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Sadly, this is pretty much the script for the way most hit and runs happen. Perps are drunk, high, or both, hit someone and leave the victim to die in a pathetic attempt to try to save their own POS skins.

I hope they nail them with every possible charge so these d-bags get the absolute maximum in jail. And they better be held equally responsible, the “girlfriend” was as involved in the crime as the guy was. I can only think of the hell that the family of this girl will live through every day of their lives for what these pieces of XXXX did.

Grouse

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

And who, if anybody else in the following days knew details about this and did not come forward? Locals/ bar and or resort friends etc.? If so…guilty of a certain level of crime too? Should be…IMO. (NOT saying anyone did know anything but just sayin’ “what if”)

hunterjoe
    Twin Cities

I agree Steve, but that’s going to be extremely hard to prove. But if it were to come out that someone did know, they’ll get hit pretty hard too I’m sure. I don’t know the laws, but I’d think maybe accessory would apply.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

And who, if anybody else in the following days knew details about this and did not come forward? Locals/ bar and or resort friends etc.? If so…guilty of a certain level of crime too? Should be…IMO. (NOT saying anyone did know anything but just sayin’ “what if”)

Quite possible someone did. How else did the state trooper find them at Myr Mar, probably more that just dumb luck. From the news report;

“On June 13 that same State Trooper located the Tahoe and camper at Myr-Mar Marina in Hazelton Township. The trooper also noted a white Jeep Cherokee with a boat and trailer at the same campsite. The trooper watched the site for five minutes until the defendant Meier walked around the camper. Meier and his girlfriend were questioned, and denied any involvement in Caylin’s death. An investigator noted, however, that the right wheel well of the boat trailer was damaged, which Meier blamed on a tire that had blown.”

MNdrifter

Scum of the earth. Hope they rot in hell.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Very sad and glad they were caught. Great work by the police on this.

Watching the news is getting harder and harder. There was an older woman hit the same day just miles away I guess and I didn’t hear anything about that till the news last night after they covered the arrest of who hit the little girl. Another hit and run still looking for information and witnesses.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.