Yeah, New green sunfish record!

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I didn’t read the link you posted, but as I understand it, its a tie with the current state record.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

think that was in the outdoor news also!!!!!! thats right in spicer. fished that lake some, the structure in that lake is unbelievable.

think that lake holds the record for most good looking bikinis on a hot summer day too!!!!! devil whistling went out with a bunch to a spot i think is called lone oak, apparently a good spot to park a big ole pontoon and party. the scenery was fantastic. mrgreen

its a pretty darn good smallie lake also……..eventually i think a new state smallie record will be caught out of there too!!!!

ThunderLund78

DANG! almost 2 lbs? you could make a half-pounder look like the one in the pic by holding it out, hard to get scale off the guy’s hands. Wish they had a pic of it next to something. Maybe one exists on the web somewhere.

For as many special regs as they’re throwing on panfish, I’m surprised the state hasn’t figured out an C&R record system for them like Muskie and Sturgeon. jester (that’s a joke)

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I didn’t read the link you posted, but as I understand it, its a tie with the current state record.

He should a pushed a couple split shots down its yapper. whistling

CaptainMusky

Its funny this fish is getting far more run than the muskie record just broken on Mille Lacs.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Its funny this fish is getting far more run than the <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>muskie record just broken on Mille Lacs.

The one from last November? Or another new one

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Its funny this fish is getting far more run than the <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>muskie record just broken on Mille Lacs.

I agree, but I think it’s because panfish records don’t get changed much. Especially these days.

CaptainMusky

The one from last November? Or another new one

Another new one earlier this month. Catch and Release record. 58 plus inches.

CaptainMusky

I agree, but I think it’s because panfish records don’t get changed much. Especially these days.

That’s true I guess. It is a huge sunfish for sure.

dirtywater

Psychology. I think everyone assumes there are monster muskie out there and that they’re just difficult to catch. We’ve been conditioned by experience to believe that the days of monster gills and sunfish are over, so when we see a fish like that it catches a lot of attention.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This. Panfish are quite often harvested whereas muskies are not. The chances of catching a new state record in a species of fish that is regularly harvested is going to be significantly tougher than for a species that is normally voluntarily released. For this reason, I think smallmouth bass will be the next to get bumped. And very likely from Mille Lacs.

CaptainMusky

For this reason, I think smallmouth bass will be the next to get bumped. And very likely from Mille Lacs.

There have already been multiple from there that would have beaten the record, but were released.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There have already been multiple from there that would have beaten the record, but were released.

Well, if it wasn’t certified, then it wasn’t a record. Let’s call it a “potential” record.

CaptainMusky

Well, if it wasn’t certified, then it wasn’t a record. Let’s call it a “potential” record.

Its been the running theme with muskies from there for decades too. Plenty of fish would have broken the record but no one wanted to kill them. It took that fish dying last year for it to get broken. I think even in the Bassmasters tourney a few years ago there was a fish that wouldve broken the record but I dont think they count from tourneys???

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think even in the Bassmasters tourney a few years ago there was a fish that wouldve broken the record but I dont think they count from tourneys???

It wasn’t a state record. I was at the weigh in. It was just over 7 pounds. The state record is 8 pounds even. That fish is presumably still in there though. Brent Erhler caught it.

But to your point, since you have to kill the fish to have the certified weight as a state record, it may have to come to that. Right now it wouldn’t even be legal because smallmouth bass season is closed for harvest as of Sept 12.

CaptainMusky

It wasn’t a state record. I was at the weigh in. It was just over 7 pounds. The state record is 8 pounds even. That fish is presumably still in there though. Brent Erhler caught it.

Ah, I thought Seth Feider caught it. He was on the fish man. Got some huge bags. I didnt realize the smallmouth record was that old. I thought it had been broken more recently, but its from 1948.

Brittman

Everyone loves a good panfish story. For many, it is the first fish caught and for many more it is the first fish caught by their kids and grandchildren.

Many fishermen could absolutely care less about muskies and there are even those that despise them being introduced (dumped) into new lakes as an invasive species.

queenswake
    NULL

I know a few people who bought cabins out in that area. Good fishing and no traffic getting out there. I can see how it would be tempting, but I need the pine trees and feel of the northwoods.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.