Yamaha service in the metro?

• dirtywater

Need to get my boat in for a little tuneup. First place I called was The Boat Center in Ramsey based off all the recommendations on this site. They are refusing all service appointments because they’re too busy rigging boats. I can understand that, and I also realize this is a busy time of year. However, I politely asked for a referral to a good Yamaha mechanic and I got a big fat nothing in response, which didn’t leave me feeling too warm & fuzzy about TBC.

It sounds like Dan’s Southside can do the work on a decent schedule. I’ve read positive and negative reviews on their service, so curious to know if anyone can recommend for/against that shop, or if anyone has other ideas. They are close to home so that’s a plus.

I don’t need serious work done. Usually I would do this stuff on my own, but I have too much on my plate at work and at home and I’d rather spend my free time this spring fishing than tinkering. The motor (2008 Yamaha 25hp two-stroke) is running well, just needs a carb clean/adjustment to dial the idle in better, and I want to have the water pump & impeller looked over since the boat was new to me last year. Maybe get the trailer bearings checked/packed as well.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

blackbay
    mn

I’ve heard good things about Hannay’s.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Cabelas in Rogers could handle that also.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I can’t speak for Dan’s service but their sales people aren’t the best. I’ve been in there about 4-5 times. Twice looking at boats and a couple times ordering parts. Sales people never once talked to me. Parts department wasn’t the friendliest either but they got my part I needed. I had better luck at Great American Marine, also in Bloomington.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

I use hannays too. They’ve done a good job for me. Mostly annual stuff but also some throttle work on my F40.

j

dirtywater

It sounds like Hannay’s is worth a call. I’ve been in there to buy odds and ends but never had the boat in for work. I see they’re a G3 dealer so they should be pretty familiar with Yamaha.

Appreciate the input folks.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I don’t have first hand experience but I have a trustworthy friend who has been using Hannay’s for years and he is a Yamaha fanatic.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Dan’s Southside rigged a used trolling motor on a brand new boat I ordered from them in 2014. Of course I didn’t realize it until I got home to South Dakota. To be fair, they made it right and shipped me a new one.

Skeeter Boat Center is a fantastic dealer and I can’t say enough good things about them. Right now, the boat world is nuts and I’m sure they are just crushed.

I recently bought a new boat from Hannay’s. They bent over backwards to get my new Yar-Craft rigged and ready in an extremely short time frame. I had a small window of time to road trip from Idaho to pick it up and they followed through with everything I asked. Super happy with them.

dirtywater

Hannay’s scheduled me in for this coming Wednesday and they expect the work to be done on the same day unless unexpected issues come up. I’m looking forward to working with them and sharing a positive review.

snelson223
    Austin MN

If the Boat center can’t get you in I would go to Halberg Marine. I know they aren’t in the metro.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Sounds like some issues with Dan’s. They were always good for me. Had them do regular service and also rig a TM, talon, and graphs.

dirtywater

Sounds like some issues with Dan’s. They were always good for me. Had them do regular service and also rig a TM, talon, and graphs.

It seems like there are good and bad stories about most places, and I understand that some of those stories would sound different coming from the mechanic’s perspective. In the end I’m just looking to do business with a decent mechanic who will be honest with me and not take short-cuts. I’ve been into Dan’s to buy oil and other small things and they were always friendly enough to me. Couple guys have PM’d me horror stories and Andy’s story above is enough to give Hannay’s a shot this time around.

mojogunter

Rapid marine in Ham Lake has a really good Yamaha mechanic. May be worth a call since the boat center won’t work on yours.

dirtywater

Had a good experience with Hannay’s. Will get the boat out tomorrow to see how the engine is running but don’t expect any issues. Couldn’t get my idle dialed in all summer last year, turns out I had a bent idle mixture screw.

I dropped my boat off Thursday am and had it back Friday by lunchtime. Drooled over a couple new yarcrafts on their floor.

I will say I had a little sticker shock when I saw what they charged me to repack my trailer bearings and replace the seals. Hour and a half of labor on that line, ended up being the largest expense on the bill.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Packing bearings is not a hard job, but it takes time to do it right. Disassemble, clean hubs and bearings, inspect races and bearings, clean and inspect spindles, pack bearings, install seals, put grease in hubs, reassemble, adjust bearing tension/slack, spin hub a few times, recheck bearings again, install cotter key, and install dust cap. It just takes time to do it right.
    Not maintaining bearings properly causes many lost fishing days.

dirtywater

Packing bearings is not a hard job, but it takes time to do it right. Disassemble, clean hubs and bearings, inspect races and bearings, clean and inspect spindles, pack bearings, install seals, put grease in hubs, reassemble, adjust bearing tension/slack, spin hub a few times, recheck bearings again, install cotter key, and install dust cap. It just takes time to do it right.
    Not maintaining bearings properly causes many lost fishing days.

Thanks for the context. I’ve obviously never done the job before. I knew it was important which is why I had it done. Looking forward to learning how to do it and saving some coin next time around.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Need to get my boat in for a little tuneup. First place I called was The Boat Center in Ramsey based off all the recommendations on this site. They are refusing all service appointments because they’re too busy rigging boats. I can understand that, and I also realize this is a busy time of year. However, I politely asked for a referral to a good Yamaha mechanic and I got a big fat nothing in response, which didn’t leave me feeling too warm & fuzzy about TBC.

Apologies for your feelings on that. Feel free to give me a call personally if you wish. I will say the the lack of recommendation from the person you spoke with may not have been a long time employee that could give you a honest recommendation. By all means, the previous mentions on this thread are options that are viable for you. I certainly wish our 5 gallon pail held more than 5 gallons…….

RT
    Twin Cities

Hannay’s is top notch for Yamaha service.

dirtywater

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dirty Water wrote:</div>

Apologies for your feelings on that. Feel free to give me a call personally if you wish. I will say the the lack of recommendation from the person you spoke with may not have been a long time employee that could give you a honest recommendation. By all means, the previous mentions on this thread are options that are viable for you. I certainly wish our 5 gallon pail held more than 5 gallons…….

Appreciate that Dean. I wouldn’t think twice about calling TBC again in the future, your reputation speaks for itself.

This time around I’m happy to report Hannay’s got me sorted out quickly. Had the boat out on p2 this morning and it’s never run better.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Glad to hear you are out fishing & fully operational !

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.