Yamaha 150 outboard rectifier

• bken

Does anyone know how to test the rectifier on 2006 yamaha f150tlr?

Iowaboy1

give me your serial number and I will look up the pdf tech sheet for ya if I can find it this late lol

bken

63p L 1063090

Iowaboy1

I can give you the basics of testing it, tell me how many wires are on it, and if the regulator looks like its been very hot and blistered.

bken

1Black wire 2red wires 3green wires
    No it isn’t blistered or looked like it got hot.

Iowaboy1

not charging?? charging too much?? misfires?? battery drain??
    I only ask before you start testing so I have an idea of what you are after.
    I also want to know if you recently replaced the battery with a maintenance free type, AGM, lithium, or dry cell battery.

bken

not charging last weekend when i had the boat out the volts on my fish finder was only at at 12.5 one time when i trimmed up the motor the motor died. I have a agm battery

Iowaboy1

the motor died because the voltage dropped below 12.5 volts when you hit the trim button, this voltage drop shut off the fuel,ECM,and the ignition system.
    give me a few, gotta dig through what I have on that motor.

Iowaboy1

site wont accept the link, going to send it to you in a pm

Iowaboy1

Pm sent, as I suspected the first thing it screams at you is to NOT use an AGM battery with this system.
    if you blew the regulator or stator only you are lucky.

In my shop the last year and a half we have seen twenty one charging/ignition system failures due to incorrect or bad batteries.
    some of those repair bills exceed 3300.00!!!!

bken

Thanks for sending that. I looked up that part number and that is totally different than my rectifier. I have attached what mines looks like.

Attachments:
    1. 20210813_212728-scaled.jpg

Iowaboy1

gotcha, I am betting the three green wires go to your stator, testing them will be very close to the test I sent you.
    the black wire should be ground, the two red wires will either connect to battery and or switched power.

do you have a DVA adapter or DVA capability on your volt/ohm meter??
    if not you are pretty much done testing without them.
    ohm test the stator across all three green leads, they should read the same,
    NOTE: some stators are diode protected,if you get an open reading across all three legs reverse your leads and test again,if you still dont get a reading the stator is toast.
    check each green lead to ground, what is your reading there??
    from here you will need a DVA to test the stator.

I can help you more but it will take up volumes here, pm me and I will see what I can do or put you in touch with someone if it exceeds what I can do.

Paul Aloha

Wondering if you were able to fix your problem. I have the exact same model and appears the same rectifier. Battery not charging. My alternator reading on my starboard engine never goes above 12. My port goes all the way up to 14. Trying to decide if it’s the stator or the rectifier

isu22andy

Paul make sure you have the updated harmonic balancer for this engine as well assuming yours is a 4 stroke . They are known bombs if the factory ones in it yet !

Paul Aloha

Paul make sure you have the updated harmonic balancer for this engine as well assuming yours is a 4 stroke . They are known bombs if the factory ones in it yet !

Thanks for the tip. I’ll let you know

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.