WX 2060 battery compartment questions…

• Jeremiah Miller

I can’t be the only one thinking about adding a gas shock to the battery compartment lid in the floor of a Skeeter 2020 wx 2060. I also thought about adding a gasket somehow to keep water out… Has tried this? Might be a good winter project for me but was wondering if somebody had done anything like this yet… I am definitely going to add a shock at some point, wasn’t sure on sealing the compartment due to the batteries and charging heat/ fumes. Very curious on what you’ve tried, what worked and what didn’t …

Musky Ed

What would be the need if you are just turning the breaker on and off? Also when water gets in there it just flows into the hull just as it would if you were to seal that hatch and then the water would flow into the two rear holes. It all ends up in the same spot.
    Sorry I guess I stopped reading before your part about fumes. I haven’t had regular batterys in awhile but used to, and never noticed fumes. If you have AGM’s or lithium, no fumes.

Jeremiah Miller

I always open the compartment after every trip to dry out (not often does it get very wet) and whenever I charge the batteries to help dissipate heat. Whenever batteries are charged they emit gases, that’s what I was referring to. I guess fumes was probably the wrong word.
    Also when the hatch is open I can see if everything charges fine. A gas shock would help the hinge and screws from stripping over time. I realize the water all ends up in the same spot, I would prefer it to not be in a battery compartment I guess…

Jeremiah Miller

I must be the only one that had this thought for a modification?

Ripjiggen

Don’t have a skeeter but a ranger with same battery set up. My battery compartment gets opened once a year to flip the switch for TM.
    I don’t think your gas shock is a bad idea just don’t really see the need for it with how little I open that hatch. Charging lights and plug are all outside of that compartment. Never noticed water in mine or mold so it must stay dry or have enough air to dry itself out. I have had batteries in main cockpit floor in last 3 boats.
    Never gave it a thought.

Just make sure you shock is long enough to make it at least vertical otherwise getting batteries out would be a pain.
    My battery door is pretty damn heavy and I would have to guess it would take more than one shock.

Jeremiah Miller

I’ve never had any issues for mold or standing water. My onboard charger is underneath the lid, next to batteries which includes the charging lights. This model does not have any other indication lights as far as charging status/voltage besides opening the lid, or switching on the main motor for the starting battery Smart gauge, or turning on the ulterra remote which I honestly don’t trust. Another option is to add a charging status/voltage meters for both a 12 volt and 36 volt system elsewhere where I can see it. I agree on possibly needing 2 shocks. Thanks for your input ripjiggen and musky ed! Sometimes I think too much when I can’t be on the water!

Ripjiggen

Another option is to add a charging status/voltage meters for both a 12 volt and 36 volt system elsewhere where I can see it.

This is a nice feature. It’s right next to my external plug.

Musky Ed

Or another option is add lithum trolling batteries like Ionic. I have them on my WX2200 and they are fantastic. They have a app for your phone to monitor them but you really don’t need to.
    I troll almost exclusively, and my front trolling motor never shuts off all day, whether my kicker is running or not. I could easily go 3 days without charging.
    Also no need to worry about outgassing, although I feel its a non issue.

Ripjiggen

I guess I’d go with the 50$ option vs the 1500$

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.