WX 1900 vs Ranger 619/620

• fisherman-j
    Northern MN

I’m not trying to start a Ford/Chevy deal . . . I’m in northern MN and have an ’04 1900 Pro-V and am considering switching to glass. I’ve seldom ridden in Rangers and have not been in a Skeeter before. I’m probably looking at ideally an ’08 620 (ideally with a Yamaha 250 4-stroke). I’ve also seen 2010-11 WX 1900’s available for around the same ballpark price. I’m kinda familiar with the Ranger 620 hulls like 2005, 06-07 and then revised again in ’08 – but am not familiar at all with the WX 1900. My only impressions of the WX are that it looks deeper than a 620. Budget is around the $34-38k ball park.

The ’08 Ranger with the Yamaha is hard to find, so I’m considering the WX. Without the sales pitch, how do the hulls compare fishing and riding wise? Any other feature/benefits for the WX vs. 620? I fish the Canadian side of LOTW, along with larger northern MN lakes – but also smaller lakes too. I fish walleye, bass and muskie plus some tubing for good measure.

I see a lot of WX’s with HPDIs. I’m guessing that’s weight related. Do the WX hulls porpus with the 4-stokes like I’ve heard some of the Ranger hulls have? In the 2010-2011 WX era, what is the best motor combo to look for?

THANKS!!!!!!!

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

All I can say is that porpoising is not an issue with my WX1900, I have an F200 on it. Both boats are pretty awesome and I don’t see any major down side to either. I have driven and fished out of the 620 in big waves too and didn’t see any real performance advantage there at all. For me, it came down to the minutia…and I like Yamahas.

Cody Klebs

I’m on about 10 hours with my 2013 wx1900 with an hpdi. So far i love it. It rides like a dream, the motor is smooth. No issues whatsoever.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the 3 hulls. I’ve run my 1880 for a year now. It’s virtually the same hull/interior as the 1900. There are some differences to think about though. Jump Seats-I didn’t think I’d like them, but have found them to be very handy when carrying a third person and not having to add another seat. Rear Storage-Not impressed at all with my skeeter for storage in the cockpit area. I carry almost everything in Plano 3700s and can only fit a few in the Port locker with the door, I don’t even place anything in the top storage on the port side, everything slides out right onto the ground. Rangers can carry a ton of planos in the rear. You have more cockpit square footage without the Horseshoe storage of a ranger. Very nice if you have 2-3 people fishing out of the back. Livewell Access goes hands down to Ranger. Having the split livewell access in the Skeeter is a pain. I bought a large bait net to scoop the fish out now and works fine, but still a pain.

fargotridad

I have had both boats. They are very different rides. The Ranger is a sports car and the Skeeter is a f250. The Skeeter feels safer at top speed due to having more of the boat in the water the Ranger feels like is more on top of the water and you have to stay in control the boat.The Skeeter is much better in the rough stuff with it having a deeper V. That V does catch the wind making boat control a little more difficult. The Ranger has a lot more storage and the fit and finish are much nicer. The jump seats are nice if you have kids but access to the live well, batteries and pumps is poor. I could fit more rods in the rod locker in the Skeeter.

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

Thanks for the feedback. How does a (2006) Skeeter ZX2050 hull compare to a 620/Wx1900?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.