wooden frog campground and landing

• poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I think I know the answer but want to check with the kab. regulars on here. Is there a pass/fee to launch and use the parking lot at the wooden frog park site. Not needing it for overnight, launch in the morning, by afternoon the rest of the group will be there and our cabin opened up So will move over there

From what I can tell it does not look like it, unlike using state park launches here in wi.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Unless your resort is just around the corner I would use the VNP landings. Big and well maintained.

dbright
    Cambridge

It has been a few years since I was up there but there was not a fee then.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Thanks,

No fee at the VNP landing either?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Nope it’s a free launch. Nice thing is it’s a big open lot so the security isn’t anything to worry about. Also there are lots of docks in the protected harbor to tie up to. Have you checked with your resort? They might let you launch there as long as you don’t tie up at the docks. If you are going fishing until check in time they might be OK with that.

Hard to get enough of that area isn’t it? grin

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Thanks, I thought of asking the resorr but 5hey have been generous with early/late check in/out a couple times already so would rather not keep pushing it.

Can’t stay the full week this year so heading partway Friday evening so we can get there sat. Morning hopefully staying thru Tuesday.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Another good option would to stay in Orr and fish Pelican. Pelican is a great multi species lake I think you would enjoy. There is a nice little motel right on 53 just as you enter town. Clean & affordable. Or if you want to spend some coin Ovesons is on the North side as you leave town. They have a pool and the whole bit. But you pay for it.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

…Hard to get enough of that area isn’t it? grin
    [/quote

No kidding-I miss that area!

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I was thinking about that small motel in orr or maybe a place in Virginia, I’d rather give my money to a small mom and pop motel but they don’t have quite the same flexibility as a larger motel when we aren’t getting there till 10-11 pm either.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I highly recommend the North Country Inn 218-757-3778 Orr. I was just there Thu-Sun sledding. Very nice clean small motel with excellent service. We stopped in Ovesons for a drink. Lamest bar I have ever seen with $3.50 beers. Lots of yelling kids.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I am planning on camping at wooden frog over labor day weekend. I have never been to the area, anything I need to know about, specifically bait, ice, facilities and of course the fishing that time of year? I would assume all depends on water temps and weather at that time of year.Thanks for any and all info, bringing girlfriend up, and want to be as prepared as possible.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

I was in the area last week. I don’t think they have bait on site but there are many gas stations/ resorts in the area. I’m sure they would be happy to help with bait and ice. Can’t tell you about fishing late in the summer. All of our fish were pretty much on weed edges of wind blown bays. I would think late summer these ares still may hold fish but many will be deeper on humps.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.