Wood pellets

• stevenoak

I’ve finally managed to use up most of my odd Treager wood pellet bags. Has anyone used Cosco pellets. The packaging suggests they may be made the same place. Don’t remember exact details, but like 4#s more for a few bucks less. Not enough to ruin a $75 chunk of meat or waste a day. But not sure how different pellets can be. They seem the same size with no overabundance of powder. Same basic flavors.

Alagnak1

Best price I have found and have run well over 1000 lbs the last 2 years since getting a costco card- no complaints on quality or flavor. I’m not sure why anyone would pay more.

stevenoak

Broke into the new Cosco bag of pellets. Can’t say I notice any difference other than the price $19.99 for 33# of Treager vs $12.99 for 40# Cosco. Hickory, maple cherry seems to be a good blend. Unless you are smoking with actual wood. Can’t say the wood taste is specific from pellets. It’s smoke. The Kirklands do look a little shinier. But for all the world, look like they have the same manufacturer.

stevenoak

Poking around, I found Kirkland pellets from Cosco are made by Pit Boss. They use a pelletizing process that is better than the extrusion process. Treager has 4 or 5 plants that make their own. Couldn’t find who make Fleet Farms. But my closest Fleet Farm is 90 miles. Cosco is 20 minutes. So far, I’m happy with them.

LabDaddy1

Dang coletrain that’s even cheaper than Costco. 40# bag for $6

John Timm

Them fleet farm pellets are for heat use, not cooking if I’m not mistaken?

Coletrain27

Them fleet farm pellets are for heat use, not cooking if I’m not mistaken?

Been using them for years and so have some relatives. They’re 100% hardwood and have no glue in them like everybody thinks.

Coletrain27

Dang coletrain that’s even cheaper than Costco. 40# bag for $6

they are labeled for heating pellets but they are 100% hardwood

Riverrat

The heating pellets are made from recycled pallets and other recycled packaging and construction products. The heat extrusion probably sanitizes them though. Might be what the cooking ones are made from too.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Rec Tec has been running a 15% off deal and I scored two 40lb bags for $26 each. I got there blend, was running a Hickory and am hoping the blend will be something the family likes as they were not a fan of the Hickory.

stevenoak

I like the Kirkland’s blend. Just glad I live in the Midwest. They cause cancer in California. roll

stevenoak

Guess if it’s going to get me. I’d rather it be from my Treager, than a tailpipe.

CaptainMusky

Rec Tec has been running a 15% off deal and I scored two 40lb bags for $26 each. I got there blend, was running a Hickory and am hoping the blend will be something the family likes as they were not a fan of the Hickory.

Im down to my last bag of recteq pellets. I have been very happy with them and that all I have used. I will probably look around at others but zero complaints with them. It would just be nice to find something local and by the time Estes delivers them I am sure 1/3 of the pellets will be missing. Good grief that company is the worst.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

It would just be nice to find something local and by the time Estes delivers them I am sure 1/3 of the pellets will be missing. Good grief that company is the worst.

I will have to look and see who delivered them, the boxes showed up in tact and nothing loose in there. shock

CaptainMusky

Your’s came in boxes? My bags were just on a pallet and shrink wrapped. I did by 200# however so perhaps that is the difference.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Your’s came in boxes? My bags were just on a pallet and shrink wrapped. I did by 200# however so perhaps that is the difference.

Yeah each 40lbs was in it’s own box. I don’t use mine enough yet to buy that much at a time.

CaptainMusky

Yeah each 40lbs was in it’s own box. I don’t use mine enough yet to buy that much at a time.

It did take me a year and a half, but I got such a good deal when I bought my bullseye on the pellets that I splurged.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.