Won a free pair of sunglasses

• Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

I won a free pair of sunglasses (up to $1,000) through a charity event and hoping you guys can give me some advice as to which brand to get for fishing. Unfortunately the provider doesn’t carry Costas as that would be my first choice.
    I know some of these are definitely a”no” but figured I’d post everything they carry. Here are all the brands they carry:
    Adin Thomas
    Armani Exchange
    Banana Republic
    BCBG Max Azria
    Brendel
    Cargo
    Chesterfield
    Claiborne
    COACH
    Columbia
    Converse
    Cool Clip
    Cote d Azur
    David Beckham
    db4k
    DOLCE & GABBANA
    Easyclip
    Emporio Armani
    Etnia Eyewear Culture
    Evatik
    Fossil
    FYSH
    Geoffrey Beene
    Giorgio Armani
    Gucci
    Guess?
    gx by GWEN STEFANI
    Helium
    Jessica McClintock
    Jimmy Choo
    Kate Spade
    Kate Young for Tura
    kensie
    Kliik:denmark
    L.A.M.B.
    Liz Claiborne
    Lulu by Lulu Guinness
    Lulu Guinness
    Marc Jacobs
    Marchon NYC
    Maui Jim
    Michael Kors
    Nano
    Nike
    Nine West
    O’Neill
    Oakley
    Oakley Frame
    Oakley Jr.
    Oakley Youth
    Paradigm
    Pentax
    Police
    Prada
    Ray-Ban
    Ray-Ban Junior
    Ray-Ban Rx
    Ray-Ban Youth
    Safilo Elasta
    Saint Laurent
    Scott Harris
    Scott Harris Vintage
    Silhouette
    Superflex
    Swarovski
    Takumi
    Ted Baker
    Tiffany
    TITANflex
    Tom Ford
    Tura
    Tura by Lara Spencer
    Vera Wang
    Versace
    Vogue®

Thanks!

michael keehr

Maui Jim alenuihaha I have had good luck with.

Ripjiggen

The most expensive pair sell them and get two pair of Costas. whistling

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

The most expensive pair sell them and get two pair of Costas. whistling

^ bingo

Otherwise Maui Jim’s

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have been in love with my oakley two faces, and also RadarLock 24k gold prizm polarized. I have Costas as well, haven’t worn them yet. My two faces are my daily glasses so far.

stevenoak

I’d take the Maui Jims hands down. Ray Bans distant second. For the Costa fans, {and I was}. Check them out close before you buy, TRY THEM ON. They have been bought by Luxottica. That has bought up 3/4ths of the eyeglass and sunglass market and owns most of the Doc in the box eye centers. Like the marine business, it seems they buy a hot name. Cut the quality and raise the price. I got a new pair of Costas last fall. They have changed the padding, due to having to warranty a large number of glasses due to it coming loose. After about 4 hours they feel like I’m wearing some kind of medical device. Couple of the top engineer/designers didn’t like the way the company was going, left with a bunch of hand-picked employees and started Bajio sunglasses. Made in the USA using some improvements Luxottica sat on due to adding a couple bucks in manufacturing costs. Sadly, also not on your list are Smiths, also made in the USA and my second choice. But the Maui Jims are a good win. I have a pair for driving etc, love the light weight. Buddy I fish with is a Optometrist, says their bronze lenses have the best uv protection you can get. They just don’t seem to build a lot of fishing specific sunglasses, like Bajio and Smith. Congrats on the win, beats a toaster oven!!
    Don’t know if you wear glasses. Or if prescription sunglasses are included. But that would be huge. Alot of people, including me would love prescription sunglasses, but choke on the price.

CaptainMusky

Do you have the option of just getting cash? If so Id do that and just get Costas. You cannot beat their glass lenses. Unfortunately I cannot get them in prescription anymore because my eyes have gotten so bad they cant cut them. Grrr.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Maui Jim. Most everything on that list is owned and manufactured by Luxottica. Maui Jim’s were, up until last year, a USA-based company with prescription lenses made in the USA. They were unfortunately bought by a company called Kering. Hopefully they retain the incredible quality that Maui is known for.

They are truly the best sunglasses money can buy if you are looking in the prescription realm. I can’t fathom spending 1k on sunglasses that aren’t prescription though… the most expensive Maui’s I ever bought were close to $700 and that is with a prescription lens. Cut that price in half without the prescription price tag.

stevenoak

One day I’ll learn to send links. Looks like M.J.s not made in the USA. But last time I checked them out, they seemed the same quality so far. Hopefully the new owners will maintain that. They are still my favorite everyday sunglasses. For eye protection and comfort. My lean to Bajio and Smiths and previously Costas. Was fishing specific lense colors, mirroring and tint for clear water, inshore and pelagic waters. Also, more frames that have better side protection from sun and glare. M.J. has facilities in Hawaii and Peoria Illinois. Script lenses may be made at one of them.

Attachments:
    1. 20230417_0950479851-scaled.jpg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Of that list I’d say Maui Jim, followed by Oakley.

FinnyDinDin

From that list I’d say Maui Jim.

I was a long time Costa fan. A lot of my fishing buddies bought them because of me. After my last experience with their warranty department I am never buying them again. The new company that bought them clearly doesn’t want to work with customers.

I picked up a pair of Bajio’s and have been happy so far. I have heard their warranty department is handled the same as Costa before the buyout.

If anyone has costa slack tides and wants an extra set of glass lenses for them shoot me a PM. I have perfectly good lenses but broken frames so they are of no use to me. I hate to just throw away $100 lenses. Costa refused to repair or sell me replacement frames.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I did not know Swarovski made sunglasses… ??? so I googled them. Now I know why I didn’t know… Elton John must keep them in business. doah

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Lol big g. I thought we were talking the optics guys, then I googled it myself. They would look very stylish in the boat! peace

KPE
    River Falls, WI

One day I’ll learn to send links. Looks like M.J.s not made in the USA. But last time I checked them out, they seemed the same quality so far. Hopefully the new owners will maintain that. They are still my favorite everyday sunglasses. For eye protection and comfort. My lean to Bajio and Smiths and previously Costas. Was fishing specific lense colors, mirroring and tint for clear water, inshore and pelagic waters. Also, more frames that have better side protection from sun and glare. M.J. has facilities in Hawaii and Peoria Illinois. Script lenses may be made at one of them.

Correct, my frames say made in Japan and I know my lenses were made in Peoria due to warranty claims I’ve made. Notably, Maui has warranted every pair of sunglasses I’ve ever broken or dropped in the river (3 so far), no questions asked.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.