Wolves.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m running in and out of my house loading the truck and I hear a ton of yelling at the neighbors house. I peak around the corner, his wife is out side trying to get her little yippy dog off the leash and the husband is screaming at something. Look a little past them to their tree line and there are 3 wolves in there back yard. All mangy and rough looking. But pretty damn big dogs. I ran over thinking it was the guy down the roads huskies. Nope not at all. 3 fricken wolves. I wish I had a camera that looked that far from my deck door but I dont. I couldn’t believe it.
    I live in a neighborhood in north branch. I seen signs of them in pine city. But this is close to home now. Especially trying to sneak up on a leashed animal. Luckily they were out side, I’d hate to see what would have happened if they were not there tonight.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Give them lead poisoning.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

There will be no warning shots if it happens again. I had my gun off my hip in .1 seconds, but wasn’t going to shoot unless they kept approaching. But they kind of stood off. Didnt run but just watched

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Weird, I had a dream last night out of the blue about a wolf and getting my dog inside. Coincidence? Well, yeah.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Just remember, Wolves don’t understand English so don’t waste your breath with a warning. coffee

michael keehr

Yeah they are moving farther south all the time. We have 5 acres by randall and have seen wolves there multiple times. We have not seen one there since 2017 though we had heard from someone inside camp that the large pack killed the small pack inside the reserve. We believe the small pack was the one that roamed through our area.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

My sister had wolf tracks in her driveway east of cambridge on Wednesday….
    They are steadily expanding their range. Which is to be expected, they used to inhabit most of the country. Unfortunately it will take people’s dogs getting eaten to prove to our wonderful govenor that they do indeed need population management.

Tom schmitt

Well if the howling for wolves crowd has their way that will be a common occurance all the way down to Iowa.

Red Eye

The only good wolf is a dead wolf!!!

Timmy

It’s not legal to shoot one unless they are a threat.

Some people may or may not feel threatened at different distances….I know several people that felt threatened at great distances. Wolves are threatening….stay armed my friends.

Red Eye

Think we need to follow the same rule as shooting crows. There is a season but you can shoot a crow anytime if “it is doing or about to do damage.” As far as I’m concerned every wolf is “about to do damage.”

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I was just enjoying a couple beers this evening up in Aitkin County.

Stepped out on my deck for a heater and heard a commotion and maybe a howling sound?

It was all dark but I snapped a quick pic in the direction I heard it from, just to the north of the property.

Sure enough, looks like a wolf to me. coffee

Attachments:
    1. 20180413244751247.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Andy you need to step up your choice of Beer or else drink more of it. grin

Loomis13
    NULL

I won’t claim to know about wolves cause I dont. I’m from Iowa, so no experience here. However when we went to Canada a few years ago, they had wolves and I was fascinated. Something so mysterious (to me) and so seemingly remote, was cool as heck. I can imagine the problems they cause and so on, but at the same time I think some people are hard on them.

Although I would guess most people view them as coyotes in Iowa. Just a nuisance.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

They are steadily expanding their range. Which is to be expected, they used to inhabit most of the country.

There have been pictures posted on Facebook of trail cam pics taken of wolves south of North Branch. KI saw the pictures and they certainly were wolves so assuming the poster is honest about the location where they were taken we have wolves within spitting distance of the north metro already.

I have no doubt there will be wolves all the way down to Grant Township and from Forest Lake all the way to the NW suburbs within 2 years. Why would the range expansion stop now? It isn’t like they’ll run out of food as they get closer to the metro, just the opposite in fact. The wolves are going to LOVE the metro area. Best restaurant they’ve ever eaten in and it’s a 24/7 buffet of deer, dogs, cats, bunnies, etc.

Grouse

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

There will be no warning shots if it happens again. I had my gun off my hip in .1 seconds, but wasn’t going to shoot unless they kept approaching. But they kind of stood off. Didnt run but just watched

Kudos for having you gun on you and ready. And also for having a little self discipline and access the situation toast

Timmy

We winter camped up in superior Ntl forest last week. Buddy said: “bet we hear wolves by 6pm”. We heard them at 7. They must be endangered…..lol! F’n things are thick up here.

robby
    Quad Cities

Oh wow.

Timmy

That’s a big govt dog!

Attachments:
    1. E57C36D2-4FDA-44AB-9D2F-57CC1DBEDC9D.jpeg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

dont shoot the wolves….those are amazing predators!

Angler II

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>grubson wrote:</div>
    They are steadily expanding their range. Which is to be expected, they used to inhabit most of the country.

There have been pictures posted on Facebook of trail cam pics taken of wolves south of North Branch. KI saw the pictures and they certainly were wolves so assuming the poster is honest about the location where they were taken we have wolves within spitting distance of the north metro already.

I have no doubt there will be wolves all the way down to Grant Township and from Forest Lake all the way to the NW suburbs within 2 years. Why would the range expansion stop now? It isn’t like they’ll run out of food as they get closer to the metro, just the opposite in fact. The wolves are going to LOVE the metro area. Best restaurant they’ve ever eaten in and it’s a 24/7 buffet of deer, dogs, cats, bunnies, etc.

Grouse

South of Isanti…ask the dog owners…

Tom schmitt

dont shoot the wolves….those are amazing predators![/quote
    ]
    Which is great unless you livestock or pets.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I had my gun off my hip in .1 seconds, but wasn’t going to shoot unless they kept approaching.

You carry a gun while you are loading your truck to go fishing. Must be a rough neighborhood.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

dont shoot the wolves….those are amazing predators!

while i am not a fan of wolves for various reasons i dont think just because you see one you should dispose of it. they have a place in the food chain culling the sick and injured deer for example.

i do however believe in population control and think there should be a hunting/trapping season for them. i’ve been going to itasca county for 50 years and have only seen maybe 4 in all that time and never on my deer stand.

now if one was attacking one of my dogs or threatening my family………………..

walleye216

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

dont shoot the wolves….those are amazing predators![/quote
    ]
    Which is great unless you livestock or pets.

Just like many others, I am far too irresponsible and lazy to take care of my own pets. How can I be expected to be responsible for my dog? The feds should delist eagles also. A neighbor of mine had an eagle come right into his yard and kill and eat koi from his koi pond. There is no way Americans should have to be responsible what what they own.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

There will come the day that Eagles will be regulated again. They went from being very rare in Minnesota to being able to see them about anywhere.

Control doesn’t = extermination. The Wolf population needs controls just like the Deer herds do.

walleye216

There will come the day that Eagles will be regulated again. They went from being very rare in Minnesota to being able to see them about anywhere.

Control doesn’t = extermination. The Wolf population needs controls just like the Deer herds do.

I agree with some control. What I don’t agree with is the excuse that people cannot manage their own pets so we must kill wolves. I am a dog owner in wolf country and I understand that I am responsible for my animal. When people want to kill wolves because they are too lazy or irresponsible to properly care for their dogs, I have a problem with that.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I agree, it’s a two way street.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up”!

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Yup, Friends throughout the northern half State have seen them. A Friend with property in Ottertail County got photo’s of a Pair of Wolves on his trail camera’s. Took pic’s of the Tracks near the Camera’s and presented to a couple MnDNR officials at the State Fair a few years ago. They denied it was Wolves and claimed that was Coyotes and asked where they photo’s came from, he didn’t answer. Just part of MnDNR Denial of facts.

I’ve seen the Photo’s and Yes, they were Wolves, the photo’s had objects in background to get good size estimate. Paw Print photo’s had a Tape Measure showing size.

Just like Mountain Lion’s don’t exist in Minnesota with a breeding population.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.