Minnetonka – 9/23

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I went out to Minnetonka last night to try my hand at the muskies. This is my first time ever to intentionally fish for these beasts. I hit the water around 5 pm, it was beautiful! A nice ripple on the lake.

I pulled up to the first weed bed, cast a black and orange bucktail out. I looked down at my 11 week old pomeranian(Jasper) going over the side like a lab after a downed duck. I was kind of laughing/kind of scared. He would be a tasty little morsel for a musky. Luckily he figured out how to swim and was able to make it back to the boat so I could dig him out of the lake. I dried the poor little guy off and proceeded to cast my arm off.

I moved to serveral different weed flats with nothing to show for my efforts. My last stop was a little more productive, I was able to boat two small northern. I watched another boat catch several pike and bass on buzz baits. As we passed each other, they commented on a mid 40″ muskie they caught a few minutes before I showed up.

I learned one thing, I’m not geared up properly from a tackle standpoint for these fish. I’ll be hitting Gander over my lunch hour today so I can diversify my options. If the wind allows, I’ll be back out there tonight.

mstanley
    Shorewood,MN

Been fishing outside edge last few days throwing everything but hand grenades with no luck. Saw one other boat pull a big northern out but not me. Is all the action inside edge or over the top of the foil?? Usually by this time the deep edge is very productive. Still works for walleyes – gave up on the muskies and caught 3 eyes in 30 minutes.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Top waters on the flats is what I’ve seen and been hearing. A lot of the outside weeds I usually fish I noticed were rather brown the last couple times out. There is a lot of baitfish activity on the flats as well.

kooty
    Keymaster

I’m so new to tonka, that I couldn’t tell you if I was on a flat or what. If I had to guess, this is a very large flat covered with foil. I zig-zagged all across it, throwing in every direction. If the wind dies down some, I will be out there again tonight. I’m gonna try some trolling after dark for the eyes tonight since I’ll have a partner along.

Even if I don’t boat one of these fish, it’s definitely a different style of fishing than I’m used to. Us walleye guys are used to casting so much in a day, at least not with a Abu 6500.

kooty
    Keymaster

Jasper and I hit Tonka again last night. We concentrated our efforts on the west side again. I was throwing a black/orange top raider. I didn’t see any ski’s but caught some dandy bass. I had two that were 19″ and two 18″ fish with one 14″. Along with 4 small pike, it made for a nice evening. I may get out again this weekend, if I decide not to hit the river. I’ll definitely get back out next week though. Kind of got the itch, and I haven’t even saw a fish yet.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.