Long Lake – new brighton

• broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

anyone been out? how has it been there? or is it more sleds then anything still?

thanks-
    Broncs

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

Jeff- I grew up on that lake and live only a couple of miles away now. I don’t fish it much in the winter but did manage 10 crappies off of the beach point 3 weeks ago 17′ of water. Yea there are a lot of sleds still on the lake. Are you headin out with us this Saturday?

John

david_scott
    Twin Cities

blacksportsman has been out there a few times recently, I think he is getting a few fish. I am sure he will chime in when he gets to the computer.

I did really well on walleyes out there one evening a few years back.. I could never find them again after that? 15 minutes I caught 7 fish from 18″-21″. I released them all.. so theres at least 7 walleyes left in there.

ronzych
    Centerville,MN.

Lots of those toothy critters out there.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

sounds like I am. the wife wants to sleep in and what better way to let then be out of the house. not sure how long I will stay though. looking forward to it.

Broncs

blacksportsman
    Fridley, MN

Good luck out there. I was out on Long late last month near the beach in 20 FOW and had no problems finding the crappies. Size, however, was a different matter. I didn’t catch anything over 7″.

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Quote:

I did really well on walleyes out there one evening a few years back.. I could never find them again after that? 15 minutes I caught 7 fish from 18″-21″. I released them all.. so theres at least 7 walleyes left in there.

So its not a myth that there are walleyes in there? I’ve tried the last couple of years, but nothing.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

HB.. I tried and tried to key in on those fish after that. That lake produces walleyes when it want to.. after that your not catching squat for walleye.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I know where you can find them in the spring, or at least we used to a long time ago. But that was the only time I ever saw walleye come out of that lake.

ronzych
    Centerville,MN.

Pug catch a walleye???
    I’ll see you opening weekend. Leave your clicker at home.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

An indiscretion of youth.

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Quote:

I know where you can find them in the spring, or at least we used to a long time ago. But that was the only time I ever saw walleye come out of that lake.

Well, let me know if you or anyone wants to head out there some time, I live about a mile from the landing.

I’ll bring the boat and a cooler…

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

from when I use to fish there, all you needed to bring was a cooler and no boat as we used to always catch them in the dusk to about 2 hours after. only problem was surviving all the bull heads at times and the mosquito’s.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

I have had good luck in the past with the walleyes and crappies off the fishing beach in ~ 17-23 feet of water. the fish never seemed to stay long but when they moved in you would get a couple. The fish where running ~ 10″ for the crappies and 17″ for the ‘eyes.
    I know in the summer you can get some underneath the bridge where the water comes out of Long (Rice Creek) and the channel going into Long (by the trussle) there is some really deep water there (I used to jump off that bridge when I was a kid ).

AustinBartz
    NULL

Caught 2 small crappies on the south end, I fished for about 2 hours. Went to the North end and couldn’t see a inch down into the water, caught 1 little northern, I fished the north end for about 3 hours. The lake is just to dirty for me. Going to try turtle lake next time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.