Where to fish 10/25/06 metro area.

• walleye33
    Farmington,mn

Hello everyone this my first time posting. I hope this works.
    I’m planning on going out tomorrow. I normally hit the pond, but don’t have the time. Wondering if anyone has a suggestion on where to go in and around the metro area. I’ve been reading about a Jimmy D jig. What does this jig look like?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Welcome to the site!

I would highly recommend reading the fishing reports and read them well!

Look up Steve Dezurik on the site and he will give you the information on the Jimmy D bugs. (Which I will give a personal thumbs up to for both smallies and walleyes! )

For an initial journey to the river for some walleye action, I would highly recommend going down to Evert’s Resort. Connect with Dean (the manager) down there and he will take care of you, giving you latest techniques and locations for the river. Right now, for numbers plus good quality, Pool 4 (redwing) is just about impossible to beat for the angler looking to get away for the day.

If that is too far of a journey, go to the Prescott bridge. You can launch in Hastings and head down river just a mile or two. This is where the St. Croix comes into the Mississippi river. A jig and a minnow searching around will find you some fish. If you have the time, I would get some super-doos and paddle tails and work those in the same area to get better fish (personal opinion)

If that is still too far, search around the Mississippi river forum for walleyes. There is good talk right now about Pool 2 performing well. However, Pool 2 can also be quite humbling to the inital maiden voyage. Heck, even after a few trips it can still humble a guy quite quickly.

Good luck!!!!

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

I assume by your handle you want to go for walleyes, correct?

Bass are chomping at the bit right now, just keep the retrieve slow and you will hook up with some nice ones.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Where are you located?

There was a post about the Tonka walley bite the other day. This time of year can be good on Tonka.

If it were me I would head out there and chase the large mouths around!

jhalfen

Let me second Gary’s suggestion. As far as I’m concerned, the Mississippi River (pools 2-5) are the only game in town from now until April. The fish are snapping below LD3 as we speak. It would be a virtual impossibility to go down there tomorrow and NOT stick between 15 and 30 fish. Buzz down to Everts, spend 15 minutes getting some advice from Dean regarding presentaton and location, and enjoy. If you need some more advice or directions to Everts, just ask!

nascarfan
    stillwater,minnesota

i would like the directions from stillwater.

PLEASE

jhalfen

From Stillwater, you can follow the river down the WI side or the MN side. I’m a WI guy, so here are some directions in WI. Take Hwy 35 south through Prescott to county road K, which is about 1.5 miles north of Hwy 63. If you go all the way to 63, double back to K, because you’ve gone too far. Turn right onto K. Proceed to the Everts resort sign, about a mile or so from the 35/K intersection. Turn right at the Everts sign, drive down the hill, and you’re there. Introduce yourself to Dean, and tell him that Brooktrout sent ya. Dean will have all the information, bait, and equipment that you need to pound the daylights out of those saugers and walleyes currently stacked below the dam.

nascarfan
    stillwater,minnesota

COOL, THANKS BROOKTROUT

walleye33
    Farmington,mn

I live in Rosemount. Thanks for the responses.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Walleye33,
    Welcome to IDA…
    I’d also have to say Red Wing Pool 4. Now to end of March, just stay warm and catch fish. Dean has much to offer, and next month the only open ramps on the river.
    Take a camera, and report back on how you do.
    Good Luck.
    Jack..

chappy
    Hastings, MN

When you go south out of Prescott. It’s about ??? 10 miles or so to the town of Diamond Bluff. Cty. rd. K is’nt to far south on 35 from there.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Quote:

I’ve been reading about a Jimmy D jig. What does this jig look like?

Walleye33,
    Here is a link to Jimmy D’s hair jigs
    Scroll down until you see the weenie hair jig. These are what I have been having good success with on Pool 2 of the Mississippi River right now for walleyes. As everyone mentioned above, now is a great time to get down and get aquainted with the river. The river yeilds some fantastic days. For starters, I would defintely take Gary’s advice and head down to Pool 4 (Red Wing) and talk to Dean Marshall. He has all the bait and gear you will need for the day and also point you right to where you want to go. He has got a great finger on the bite down there day in and day out. James Holst and Dustin Stewart are two fine guides down there that could provide you with a day on the water that you will never forget.

If Pool 2 walleyes have gotten your interest peaked, throw me an email and I would be happy to point you in the right direction as well!

Good luck to you and welcome to the site!

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Quote:

Scroll down until you see the weenie hair..

[juvenile, yes I know… ]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.