Out early, ducking the heat!

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Got out on DeMontreville around 4:30 AM and stayed until the clouds broke up around 9AM. As soon as the sun came out the temperature shot up about 20 degrees and it was time to run! It was plenty hot enough before sunrise.
    My partner for this trip was my cousin Bob who hasn’t fished since he was a kid. He’s making good progress and has the mechanics of casting under control. Today’s lesson was shallow water worm fishing. And a successful lesson it was as he had several hits and finally landed a scrappy 14 inch fish. By the end of the day he was able to tell the difference between weeds, panfish, and Bass pretty well.
    As usual I was using a flyrod. We didn’t encounter many fish with our topwater bugs but the ones we did find hit with a vengance. The inside weeline held some nice fish. I don’t know what the deep weeds bite was like as we concentrated our efforts on the shallow stuff today.

Rootski

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Nice Report!

Are you fishing with your flyrod the whole time you are out there? Pretty Sweet
    These last few weeks you need to get out early or you are going to be dying of heat.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Hi Dan,

Yes, I’m using the Flyrod 99% of the time. As long as there is shallow water action the Flyrod is effective. In the Fall when you have to go deeper it’s time to get out the baitcasters. Flyfishing deeper than about 10 feet is pretty inefficient even if you’re well equipped and skillfull. I love that top water action with the long rod. I’ll trade off numbers for a few fish caught on top.

It was bad enough yesterday before sunup. Today seems worse. I’m not built for this tropical heat

Rootski

Schmidtty
    Lake Elmo, MN

Rootski,

Got out Sunday morning for a few hours and the thing that surprised me was how stained the water was on “D”, looked like chocolate milk. As such, expecting a big topwater bite this led to zero. Did pull 4, one 18 1/2″ on crankbait deep, nothing shallow. Ventured over to Olsen and it was completely clear water???? Not sure why it was so different. Felt more comfident with the clear water but blanked. Tried a little of everything, but do not have the spots figured out on that one yet.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Hi Schmidtty,

Yea, the hot weather has “D” pretty gunky and stinky. We didn’t go over to the Olson side on Saturday because the sky looked threatening. I didn’t want to have to make that long of a run if it got nasty out.

I’d be glad to show you what I know about Olson sometime. There’s some interesting structure off shore.

Rootski

urbanrivers

was out there last week. wacky rigged worms in eight to ten feet caught a half a dozen with three over three. all of them solid hits. I have trouble staying on the water in the heat, and the wind. Man, I can do the heat, but can’t stand the wind.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

I have tomorrow off and wondering if anyone got out this past weekend? I am thinking about getting on the water for some early morning topwater action.

urbanrivers

Was on D and Olson today, everything was very slow. The only bass I caught were small ones up on the docks. The water is really green, I think it is algae bloom but am not really positive about that but the clarity is way down from a couple of weeks ago. All the heat might have something to do with it. Maybe someone else knows about that.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Steve,
    Anytime out, beats everything else that anyone could be doing.
    I sure do want to give a LM a try on my med-light Fly rod.
    Jack..

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Was out for 5 hours this morning (12 Aug). We landed 5 fish, the best at 18 inches. Three of them on a jerk worm and two on flies. It was pretty slow. Two guys we talked to said they were having success with brown 6 inch worms that had chartreuse tails. Maybe with the bloomed out water the Hot colors help a little bit. Nothing at all on the Olson side.

Rootski

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.