In search of the monster on the cannon.

• Almericus

I do a lot of shore fishing being boat less and have started mostly going at night when I can. The past few nights I have hooked into some questionable “snags” that have left me wondering if they might be monster channel cats. I’m not looking for a secret spot or anything, just an affirmative if anyone is seeing any large cats down south of Northfield before the lake? Wondering if it might be worth the money to invest in a heavier pole. And if anyone has some tips I’d appreciate the help.

stuart
    Mn.

That section of the Cannon is loaded with channel cats.
    Get yourself some suckers and circle hooks and get out fishing.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

I spent the whole day out there yesterday and only managed one good take, which I missed. Its been an unusually tough year

Almericus

Thanks for all the advice. I have been using large shrimp because most bait shops are closed when I decide to head out… I’ll try suckers. Should I cut them or leave them whole?

I have also been reading a lot about the King Power Plant being a viable spot for some big Flat Heads. Anyone been up there?

crankyanker
    Twin Cities, Mn

I have spent a lot of time at the King Plant. This is a good spot if your after cats. The St.Croix in general is very good for cats. You can get them by using cut bait, however, I like to use big live bait. Bigger live bait will help to ward off smaller or unwanted species. I prefer bullheads but creek chubs or suckers will do. And I would definitely get a cat fishing rod. Light tackle is no match for a 30lb+ catfish.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.