Wissota weekend update

• jhalfen

I had a couple of guests out this afternoon to sample some smallmouth and walleye action on Wissota. Not much has changed in the past week…still very good numbers of both smallies and walleyes in current swept areas of the Chippewa River. We had 9 eyes over 15″ and plenty of smallies and channel cats to keep us busy. For the past couple of weeks, we have been pitching bait on light jigs to current seams and deep water areas (8-12 ft) in the middle of rocky flats. During times when the flows are high, fish are found tight to the seams and at the heads of these holes. When the current slows down, the fish are still on the chew, but they are moving out of the holes and away from the seams and begin roaming the rocky flats.

Water temps are still in the upper 70s-80. This weekends winds and rain have knocked down the algae bloom, and as of this evening, most areas I drove through were clean. Plenty of good late summer fishing action remains to be had on Lake Wissota…get out there and enjoy!

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Nice report, Jason… gotta luv Wissota… I’m disappointed we didn’t get out there this weekend

bigpike

Thanks for the report Jason, these algae blooms keep me away from lakes like Wissota in the summer I am very allergic to it, to the point that the stuff comes off my reel when I cast or reel in and I start to get sick. Pretty pathetic isnt it? Hopefully soon it will be gone so I can come back, usually around the fall chew…..keep them coming and THANKS!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.