Lake Wissota fishing league week 7 update

• jhalfen

Sully and I had a pretty nice bite going last night during week 7 of the Lake Wissota fishing league. With substantial current in the Chippewa River, we focused on (1) pitching live bait on light jigs to well-defined current seams and (2) dragging jigs through boulder-strewn flats with moderate depth. Both smallies and walleyes fell for these presentations. When the flow in the Chip fizzled, our bite followed suit, and we were stuck trying to scratch out a few additional bites during the last 90 minutes of competition.

The night finished with me claiming 1st place honors in the league for the second time this year. Our boat finished with 10 legal smallies and about a dozen eyes, in addition to a couple handfuls of dinks. In addition to the usual slot eyes, it seems as though I’ve been catching a lot of 7-10″ eyes lately….good news for future Wissota walleye angling.

Big fish honors in our boat went to Sully with this handsome 16.5″ smallie, the first fish of the night to hit the net. Aaron Berg, one of the league oranizers, scored a 27.5″ walleye just as the night’s competition was coming to a close….a beautiful walleye for Lake Wissota!

Fishing on the lake is good but the bite windows seem small. Get out there, put in your time, and enjoy some of Lake Wissota’s summer bounty!

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Sully
    that,s not a cat in your hands… what is up with that… you are not turning on us… are you?

2K’S

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Nice job guys!!! I still miss fishing this league. Wish there was one in the Stillwater, MN area. 27.5 in walleye? are you kidding me? Did he release it?

jhalfen

I saw the fish first-hand, it was a dandy!

Unfortunately, the fish would not release. Aaron worked on that fish a good 30 minutes to try and revive it. With 83 degree surface temps, there wasn’t much he could do.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Wow thats a bad deal. Very positive to see a fish that size in the lake though. I knew they were in there, hopefully more to come as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.