Memorial Day Wissota Walleyes!

• G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Went over to Chippewa Sunday night for a cook-out with some family. We did a bit of fishing this morning – from around 8 to noon. Hit ‘the spot’ and tried doing some drifting but the winds weren’t cooperating. We anchored for a bit and had a good time…. not great numbers nor great size but good steady action. Mostly, we were jigging but I did pretty well with a slip-bobber over a jig and leech. All in all, we (there were two of us) threw back a handful that were in the slot, kept five between 13 and 14″. Just before we pulled up to head in, I hooked in to a nice fish – thought we’d get one over 18″! Alas, taped it in at just under 17″.

We had our best luck just outside of a weed bed, where the bottom dropped off at steady rate from 4-6′ down to over 20′. Jig and a fathead – classic walleye fishing! Just doesn’t get any better than that!

jhalfen

Thanks for the update Glenn.

I made it out for a few hours this afternoon. We rousted up two beauties, 23.5″ and 22.5″. Look for pics tomorrow!

bigpike

Glad to hear you guy’s doing good, I have been hitting Old Abe. Been meaning to hit this body of water for years. I regret not going there earlier. I haven’t figured out the regs yet (they have nothing posted at the landing) but I assume the slot is in play here and I have been catching about 10 in slot each trip out along with pike, smally’s, perch and crappies. Trolling jointed shadraps, the crank that is becoming my go to lure for trolling in this area. I have tried others but the jointed shadrap seems to be out fishing them all this spring by a long shot ….. Jason, thanks for posting a link of your excellent article on jig dragging, this is a technique that would be excellent served on Old Abe and I was glad you posted it again for us. I will be trying this out as soon as I return from my annual pilgrimage to Canada !

bigpike

Just checked the regs online and yes the 14-18″ slot is in play all up and down the Chip river in this area. Its a good thing…..

jhalfen

Quote:

Trolling jointed shadraps, the crank that is becoming my go to lure for trolling in this area.

We went way up river yesterday and had fun bouncing jointed SR5s off the boulders, firetiger and red craw. Picked up most of our fish going downriver. Do you see a preference for up or downriver up in Old Abe? What’s the average depth of water you’re fishing up there?

bigpike

I am getting them both ways, caught 7 today and we got out late and left a little early, I am officially in full Canada mode and I think I’m going to mess myself. I am trolling at about 12′ deep give r take, most at 12ft. I am fishing sharp drop edges with weeds producing better numbers but not as much size. Today was toughest day to hold 14′ edge but am getting them all over out to 24′ and some bounced shallow. Trolled for 5 miles on first day and I cant say I didn’t catch fish pretty consistent all the way with more pike and bass as I went north. Its been fun, I imagine this pattern should continue until the mayfly hatch. I’ve been getting some bonus quality perch and crappies. Now comes giant canada fish, this was a nice transition to ease my way into fishing Canada. The last 4 years I have been working OT leading up to this trip- this year none- so I finally get to put some time in before the “big trip”. Have fun.

jhalfen

Thanks Bill, I’ll have to get up there and give Old Abe a try soon….maybe once the big lake goes green.

I did get around to posting some pics from my outing yesterday…they are here.

bigpike

Those walleye’s are very nice fish, best I could get was 18″. I am gonna put some time in with the jig/drag techniuqe you have linked on your report when I get back in town……

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.