Wissota Opener GTG roll-call

• G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

There’s a thread on this forum talking about a GTG on Wissota on opener and I asked for people to send a PM to me if they plan on attending. Considering the above mentioned thread is a bit old, I thought I might be better to start a new one…

So…. if you’re planning on fishing on Wissota on opener and want to partake in the trouble-making of an IDA GTG (nonsanctioned event!) , drop a quick PM to me so I can get a headcount. I plan on contacting Mallards to see if we could use their place for a lunch BBQ and maybe fry a few Wissota Walleyes! Once I get a headcount, I’ll probably assign a few goodies to each attendee…

I CAN’T WAIT!!!!

jhalfen

I remain a maybe.

I’m going to pin this to the top for a while so it doesn’t get lost.

bigpike

I’m in message sent….

krisko
    Durand, WI

I am a maybe as well….

Chippman
    Chippewa County, Wi

I’m sad to say I am a maybe also annual trip to the Mississippi with Father and brother in laws may have to be moved to the opener. Chippman

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

My bro-in-law is having some t-shirts made up… here’s the image that will be printed on them. Pretty sure they’re $15… let me know if you want one/two/? and sizes. He needs to know ASAP as he’s already ordered the shirts for his party…

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

OK… confirmed boatcount/headcount as of 4/17:

Myself + 2 (sons Nate and Zach)
    Cougareye + ?
    BigPike + 2 (bro and nephew)
    Jason S + 1

On the fence:

Jason H
    Don H
    Jeff K
    Chippman
    Dartman
    Kizew

I really need to know a solid count by Monday. I need to contact Mallards and get their AOK (I’m sure they’ll be OK as long as we buy a few beverages at the bar ). The backup plan is to meet at the State Park for lunch.

Let me know ASAP!

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

So are you going to make this a fishing contest deal? Prizes? entry fee?

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Quote:

So are you going to make this a fishing contest deal? Prizes? entry fee?

Maybe a simple ‘big fish’ pot? I don’t have any prizes as such – really just looking at this as a chance to meet some fellow IDA members…

raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

Count me in as a maybe, about 90% sure I can make it.

Opener, woohoo!!!!!!!!!

krisko
    Durand, WI

I would say I’m 90% sure I’m gonna get there now….

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Update:

Looks like we have about 8 boats committed and another 5 or so that are still on then fence! Come on guys, we need to know soon!

Talked to Mallards and they really wouldn’t want us to set up our own BBQ there – the guy running the bar is going to call me so we can discuss further. He will probably do a lunch spread at the bar.

Alternative to Mallards (if we want to cook our own food) would be to meet at the State Park. We can beach our boats and use the picnic area right along the water.

You can launch from either location (Mallards would expect you to buy some gas and/or refreshments from them and you’d need a State Park sticker for the park).

so….. we need to decide if we want to be lazy and go to Mallards or set up our own ‘private’ party and go to the Park… Votes?

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

I don’t think we would need a state park license to beach our boats there ..but not 100% sure on that… either way i am interested..I hope I can make that weekend work.. I am fishing the FLW tour and hopefully will still be fishing on Saturday.

krisko
    Durand, WI

No to beach your boat you don’t need a sticker or pass…they never mind if you stop for a bit and use the facilites.

bigpike

Lets use the beach, if it is raining we can hit Mallards, I can land my boat at the park and bring the weber over at lunch time, cook out and have a few 12 oz. of frosty goodness. It will be a blast. King is getting a big fish contest going for $5 a throw. Bring your own meat for the barbie. Hope to see you all there and looking forward to meeting you……Bill

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Let’s party on our own, weather permitting. I vote for grilling at the state park, watch out for the big fish contest, King185 plans to throw worms for catfish!

ET

bigpike

Does a “accidental” musky count. This lake is loaded with ski’s, or just opener fish. Walters, Pike and bass along with any Cats, Sturgeon, carp, suckers, etc….Cmon King give us some rules, I’ll play!

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

I think it should be big fish pot for the great Walleye, and I challenge people to find one over 22 inches The lake is full of smaller fish and feel with the 14-18 slot limit on walleyes that have to be released puts a tough batter for them larger fish on the plate We should try to set up largest fish in a certain number of categories take a small portion of the pot. I’d even be in for $10 heck its a fun tourney My suggestions 1) Largest Walleye 2)Largest Panfish 3)Largest pike or accidental muskie (pictures on the ruler) 4)Largest other (Cats/carp) ect ect. Are we setting a meeting point early in the morning? Or have a roll call for the tourney here? WOW I hope that I get to fish the last day of the FLW tour however if that doesn’t happen I will be on Wissota

raapala
    Eau Claire, WI

Yes, first cast of the opener last year, waammmm, 37″ musky. Maybe we should do a booby prize for smallest fish also. I am good for that. I don’t care, I’ll throw a 7″ walleye in the well, j/k!!
    I vote for the state park. This might be more flexible for the maybes, is that true?

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Quote:

watch out for the big fish contest, King185 plans to throw worms for catfish!

ET

ERIC! YOU WEREN’T SUPPOSED TO SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THAT!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Ooops……

Was just getting back home from [censored]….I wonder what else I typed last night!

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

OK… so here’s the deal:

For the “contest”: I’ll be anchored just below the County S bridge, over by the golf course/landing from 7:00 am to 8:00am – anyone that wants in should stop by and ‘buy’ a playing card for $5 (great idea from bowhuntr24 ). If you catch something that should be released ASAP, snap a digital pic with the fish, the card, and a good ruler in the picture. If you have a scale, get a pic of the fish on the scale, hopefully with the numbers showing (if we have similar lengths, we’ll use weight as a tie breaker). My first thought was to run a single pot for “biggest fish/any ‘legal’ species”. If there’s a decent sized pot, we can split that into individual pots as suggested above.

I have a tan/brown deep-V, 140 Suzuki, with “KING185” on the sides. If that time slot isn’t good, let me know and I’ll work around what works for most – same with the location.

For lunch, we’ll meet at the park. BigPike is bringing his grill and we’ll have fryers available too. Bring your own meat/buns/etc and something to pass like a salad/brownies/cookies/etc. Bring you own beverages, plates, and utensils too. I’ll bring some potatoes and onions for fries and rings, maybe even some cheesecurds! I think I may have a package or two of shorelunch breading – if you have some, throw it in your pack. Who knows, maybe we’ll catch a few fish in the morning and can fry up a few fillets!

As Bigpike suggested, we’ll keep Mallards in our back pocket as a backup plan for lunch in case the weather is nasty.

Then, we’ll meet at Mallards at/around 3:00 pm to settle up on the pot and have a pop or two.

WOOO HOOO – can’t wait!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I just wanted to clarify the censor on my last post in case anyone thinks I wrote something nasty. There’s a bar in Hudson, pretty well known, begins with a D and ends with an S. ick is in there as well.

krisko
    Durand, WI

Dick’s???

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

5 DAYS AND COUNTING!!!

This is going to be a long work-week… not getting much done…

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Let’s get one last roll call

So far, the weather forecast is holding out pretty good – there may be a random shower but it looks like that will be mostly in the evening. Winds should be somewhat brisk (bring on the ‘walleye chop’!) and the sun will be behind clouds much of the day. Conditions are shaping up nicely .

See you all on the water!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Sounds like it’s going to be a great time on Wissota! Wish I could make fella’s! Will definately try to make the next one for sure!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

See you all there. I plan to launch at the State Park around 6:15 – 6:30.

Tan, white, red Alumacraft with a 115 Mercury on back!

Eric

jhalfen

You guys have fun and be safe!

After more than a week in the boat down on P4, I’m ready for a couple days on dry land. Cross a few eyes for me!

Chippman
    Chippewa County, Wi

Well fishing on Wissota got trumped by Soccer in the am and Prom pictures and Prep in the afternoon. Did manage to hit the river in town after midnight. Got soaked but the eye’s were biting fast and furious totaled close to twenty with all but eight in the slot two dinks. Kept five 13 to 13 3/4 and one over the slot a nice 18 1/2 beauty. My neighbor figured out the pattern so I am not at liberty to share sorry. Bonus fish were four smallies 16 to 18 1/2inches.
    What a blast.

But still thinking about you guys on the lake wish I could have made it. Chippman

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.