Ice Fishing on 02/20

• krisko
    Durand, WI

I went out yesterday for the afternoon on Wissota with little luck. I tried a couple of spots where I know where the cribs are on the little lake. NOTHING. Not even a little twitch on the Marcum. I went over to one of the little bays and caught a couple see through gills….can anyone help me on where to fish this place in the winter. I’ve tried everything from wax worms, jigs and jigging spoons. I’m sure it hasn’t helped that there has been races and everything going on there for the past few weeks either.

Last Question…why does no one fish the main lake?

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

That is a good question! I’ve ice fished the little lake about 15 years ago for eyes but never fished it for gills! Haven’t heard any reports of actionout there, but let me know if you find out anything…I’m 2 minutes from Wissota!

krisko
    Durand, WI

I can catch crappies, walleye and bass all open water season…ice gets on the lake and boy do I struggle. I’m gonna try on Friday again I think…we’ll see how it goes.

bigpike

I did very well on the little lake- LAST YEAR….this year I havent even touched Wissota ice (though I have been doing very good on the frozen river a few miles down from Wissota). I have co-ordinates of cribs I fished or can explain were they are if you want Krisko, also did well for slab crappies out south of The View across the channel a few years ago, once again this was first ice- through December. I can give you that area too if you want. This year the reports I got from my crib area and the little lake in general for gils has been very very poor. For what reason nobody seems to know, old timers that have fished it for years are having a tough time in there usual spots first ice that have produced for them forever. Something changed or it is just an off season for the lake. For that reason I haven’t spent time on it. The reports from guys I know hasn’t encouraged me at all to even try. The cribs I fished last year produced all winter long, lots of fish-sort for the nice ones. PM me if you want more info. I will say this, when I have fished it in the past the lake rewarded me nicely through the ice for gils and crappies.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.