Silos and Barns under surface of Wissota

• ANGEL350

I grew up near Lake Wissota as a kid and did limited fishing there. (Even camped on the island a few times)
    I always heard talk about a submerged silo and farm buildings beneath the surface somewhere on the lake. Does anybody have any knowledge of this and a rough location? Have you seen them at lower levels? Any info would be appreciated. I find it to be an interesting tale.

bigpike

There also is an under water road bed on the north end of the lake it runs east of the bridge that leads into the Chip…..Maybe that old farm is in this area…

krisko
    Durand, WI

Welcom to IDA Angel350

I have fished the lake a ton of times also and have never been able to find the farm. I have found the old road and and a few other things just not the farm. I believe they have an old map at Mallard Resort, on the river, of where the farm and road and other structures were. you’ll have to check with them.

Again WELCOME!

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Yeah Ive heard of large muskys hanging out by the silos. A few years ago 4 or 5 inches of one of the silos was sticking out of the water. A bright silver shft and all could be seen.

Well just kidding about that but I have heard of the old roads and barns under the lake.

ANGEL350

I’m just more curious as to the location because it’s an interesting part of history. I just wondered if any of it is visible during water drawdowns.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

My understanding is they don’t draw down Wissota anymore.

Sully

bigpike

No they dont and the gils are better 4 it!

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

I thought the location might have been in them flats in the SE part of wissota, just east of Rays Beach. I thought I heard that somewhere.

bob11
    Eau Claire, WI.

I have seen photos of the lake before it was flooded. Some of them included the building of the railroad bridge between little lake and the big lake. The farm house and barn (I don’t remember if there was a silo) with a hill just to the west of it was in one picture. That hill is now the island on the big lake just to the north of the railroad bridge between the big lake & the little lake. I have run over it a lot of times with sonar but never identified the foundations. I have been told there is a silo just below the waters edge bridge on the main lake. But I have not seen it.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

So there is foundations east of the island? About how far?

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

The best photos I have seen that show the lake before it was flooded are posted on the wall at Mallards Resort. It’s worth a look.

bob11
    Eau Claire, WI.

Jason:
    If my memory is accurate (no guarantees there)I picture the farm 100 or 200 yards East of the base of the hill in the picture. That means put your back to the island, drive east until the depth flattens out then go 100 or 200 yards or more. As I said, I have never been able to identify the foundations on my locator. Hope you have better luck finding it than I have.

ANGEL350

Thanks for all of your contributions. I do remember a class-mate of mine in Junior High talking about seeing the silo during a drawdown of the lake years ago and I thought that’s about where he described it to be. Ofcourse that was
    30 years ago and I’m sure there’s nothing left to stick up very far by now. I’ve only been fishing a limited number of times there and camped out on the island in 1982, so that is my sum total of Wissota experience in 42 years. I’ll have to go to Mallard’s next time I get over that way and see the photos. Thanks for sharing what you do know.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.