boat traffic on 5/4

• steveo
    W Central Sconnie

because of the body of water that I fish on opener is about 80% sure to be locked up with ice we decided to hit the river out of River’s Edge that weekend. with the inland opener that coincides what do you local river rats anticipate the boat traffic to be? bumper boats or not so much. not exactly sure where we are heading. most likely head up toward the dam and work the river down from there. was there in the spring a couple of years ago and the water was really high. caught some fish but nothning to write home about.

thanks in advance

mike-west
    Amery, WI

I fear the weekend of 5/4-5/5 will be overloaded with boats anyplace and everyplace that doesn’t have ice. I can’t imagine what the St. Croix river will be like if water levels allow fishing that weekend. Gunna be intesting, that’s for sure.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

the Croix will be crazy. as you know it usually opens a week ahead of the inland opener. not this year..

the recent precipitation pattern we are in almost guarantees that it will be slow no wake out there.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It’s going to be hell in the southern half to 2/3 of the state. Prepare for bumper boat combat angling and bring your sense of humor and a good book to read while waiting for the launch.

Even if the water is open there will be a lot of fair weather anglers who won’t venture north because it’s almost certainly going to be cold and damp.

Weather and water levels permitting, I will be on my usual river in north central MN with not another soul around. Last year we got six really nice fish on a spectacular day and didn’t see anyone else with a fishing rod and we were the only vehicle parked at the boat ramp.

I wonder what % of the angling pressure is centered on a tiny fraction of the overall water in MN?

Grouse

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

the Croix will be crazy. as you know it usually opens a week ahead of the inland opener. not this year..

I here the bite is going to be crazy hot on Pool 4 that weekend

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

Quote:

the recent precipitation pattern we are in almost guarantees that it will be slow no wake out there.

Im hoping this year my shore spot wont have 10 boats sitting right in front of it like last year.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.