Wiring Question for Helix 9 Install

• red89
    Hudson

I have a 2001 Ranger Cherokee (aluminum) and am trying to install a Helix 9 G3N MSI at the console. I currently have a Humminbird 958C on the console that I plan to move to the front and network with the Helix.

The 958c power cable is a pc10 so I know I am supposed to change that out for the PC11 for the Helix. Currently the PC10 is crimped to another wire that goes into a inline fuse with a 2a fuse. Its the yellow plastic style with the glass fuse inside. This then connects with a spade connector to a piece under the console, I think its called a “terminal board”. It basically just a piece of metal with flat parts sticking off to connect the spade connectors to. On that same “board” is a larger wire that I assume runs to the fuse box in the front compartment with a 3a fuse in the “electronics” slot.

So if I run new power cable to this board under the console, do I need to have an inline fuse between that and the power cable? It already has a fuse in the fuse box, so is the additional inline just for more protection since it has the added connections from using that board? Could I just crimp spades connectors right on the new PC11 power cord and go direct to that board? With the current wiring the 958 unit shows 11.8V, checked battery voltage with my charger and that showed 12.2v while the Humminbird was powered on. Is that a bad voltage drop, or would you expect the SI & DI to work fine?

If anyone has any tips on how to get a dedicated wire back to the battery, that would be better I know. I tried pulling on a wire that is cut off by the other wires that go into the battery compartment and it seems like its stuck or maybe tied to the other wires. I was hoping I might be able to pull that single wire through, and I don’t want to have to cut all my pump and fuse box wires off back there to try and pull all the wires together. The reason I mentioned boat year and model is i’m curious if any boats are notorious for not being set up well to run new wire.

Thanks for reading.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.