Winterizer Fertilizer Application

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

When do you put yours down? I read different things from Mid Oct to two weeks before ground freeze.
    I usually just go by feel and it seems right about now or next week.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I put mine down right before that week of heavy rain in late September. I usually do it around Oct 1 but I was betting on getting good rain so I moved it up a week.

I like to apply it before the leaves start falling heavy and there’s obviously rain in the forecast. Today or tomorrow would be a good time to do it if you haven’t already, as there is rain in the forecast.

CaptainMusky

I didnt know you were suppose to fertilize your lawn LOL. I didnt treat mine at all this year and after the last few weeks of rains it looks fantastic.

blackbay
    mn

I did mine yesterday.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Kind of off topic from fertilization but I overseeded my front yard before the few days of rain and I can’t believe how well that worked. I should have done that a long time ago. The layer of dirt filled in my bare spots and how they are full of thick new grass. Literally in one week. I fertilized at the same time. Will probably aerate in the spring as well.

tim hurley

So anytime before it freezes is fine`, the plant will not utilize the stuff ’till spring anyway.

queenswake
    NULL

Fertilizer is kind of like putting additives in your gas tank or taking vitamins. How in the world do you know it’s doing anything? You just do it and shrug and that’s that.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I can say that after putting down winterizer fertilizer and spring fertilizer with weed prevention in it I have not seen dandelions or crabgrass this year. So that alone makes it worth it to me.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I can say that after putting down winterizer fertilizer and spring fertilizer with weed prevention in it I have not seen dandelions or crabgrass this year. So that alone makes it worth it to me.

I do the same. One application in the spring before the dandelions bloom and one in the fall as a winterizer.

MX1825

Just had mine done on Oct. 11. With the 2 inches of rain it really greened up and grew a bunch. Grass mowing tomorrow.

tim hurley

Getting ready to dormant seed-always a gamble.

Coletrain27

Fertilizer is kind of like putting additives in your gas tank or taking vitamins. How in the world do you know it’s doing anything? You just do it and shrug and that’s that.

i can tell every time i put it down. the nitrogen will make your grass a deeper green color. unless you put way too much on and its too dry then it turns brown chased

CaptainMusky

I didnt treat my yard with anything this year and I didnt have any dandelions.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I didnt treat my yard with anything this year and I didnt have any dandelions.

Well, nothing grows in a drought. lol

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My grass has never looked better. Looks like we got 2 inches over the weekend while I was gone. Put down my winterizer today.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.