Winter Rye

• ranger777
    OtterTail Cty/Minnetrista

Hey Guys,
    The last couple years I’ve been planting a brassica mix and usually by the time the gun season rolls around the plots are mowed to the ground(1/4 to 1/2 acres). Has anyone broadcasted winter rye into your plots if you notice heavy grazing pressure? If so, what is the ideal time to do it? Maybe around the end of August and again in mid Sept? It might be good if it’s layered and you have different levels of growth coming up. How many lbs per acre is recommended?

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Just last year I did it to a bean field that failed/got overbrowsed. I believe I panted late august and the deer that wiped out the beans could not keep up with the rye.

If the plot is totally wiped out 75-100lbs per acre. If you still have some green in the field 50lbs an acre. I did 50 lbs and it worked well, but I do wish I had gone a little heavier. It was not as thick as I would have liked in the spring.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

In MN, anytime after next week should be fine for broadcasting rye. Keep in mind, we’re talking rye grain here, not rye grass which is totally different.

If broadcasting into a brassicas plot that you want to keep growing, I’d be careful not to go to heavy such that the rye stunts and out-competes the brassicas. You want the brassicas to keep growing, but rye can come in very thick and will eat up moisture and nutrient.

Personally, I’d go about 1 bushel (56 pounds) per acre or possibly up to 75 pounds if you really want it thick. You want to supplement the brassicas to take pressure off and allow the brassicas to mature.

Grouse

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.