Winter Ice Camping

• belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I enjoy it. Like FBRM, I used a chaise lounge in a 6X8 suitcase style shack, the wood floor is great but that thing was heavy.
    I never get great sleep in a portable. I become a little nocturnal & take a nap when the suns up.
    Hubs are slick for sleeping in, roomy and easy to handle.

We’re making ice up here!

castle-rock-clown

This is my setup for luxury winter camping / ice fishing. Insulated floor with trap doors for ice holes, clam 6’x8’ thermal hub, big buddy heater, and portable

Attachments:
    1. DEAA259A-3A02-4D12-8FB4-DFC883C58685.jpeg

2. 5044D327-6D78-42FE-9B64-91F9B46DA963.jpeg

3. F267F722-433C-4571-B34F-D08C4F3E3C75.jpeg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

This is my setup for luxury winter camping / ice fishing. Insulated floor with trap doors for ice holes, clam 6’x8’ thermal hub, big buddy heater, and portable

Sometime some 5+ years ago you showed me that photo and i was amazed!
    The portable Skid House!!

Though i don’t ice fish at the moment, i’ve had Ski’s in my garage for this build for at least 5 years LOL.

Someday maybe!!

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Really appreciate all I’ve learned here! I plan on taking this up this winter. I’d need a hub that can fit two cots and a propane heater in it. I’ll plan on using it on the ice as well as out west on some hunting trips in years to come.

Looking forward to seeing some hubs in person to figure a layout plan. Not sure how many sq ft or which dimensions would work for the 2 cot set up.

catmando
    wis

My ice camper.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20201025_174607.jpg

castle-rock-clown

Winter ice camping especially for fishing. Either you’ll love it or hate it. If like me you love it, you’ll constantly be upgrading your shelter chasing unicorns till it becomes unmanageable…and then you’ll buy a fish house trailer. Take it from someone whose gone through this mind flipping process.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Really appreciate all I’ve learned here! I plan on taking this up this winter. I’d need a hub that can fit two cots and a propane heater in it. I’ll plan on using it on the ice as well as out west on some hunting trips in years to come.

Looking forward to seeing some hubs in person to figure a layout plan. Not sure how many sq ft or which dimensions would work for the 2 cot set up.

My buddy does 2 cots in his clam 6 pack. Still has room to fish and have heater going as well

Steve Johnson

I have also thought about the generator route to safely stay warm in winter. My idea was to get a heating pad and put it in the foot of the sleeping bag, and heat only the bag. That would require a fraction of the power of heating the entire hub. Has anyone tried this? See any problems?

castle-rock-clown

The thing that can get a bit hard to deal with is the frozen at night, and maybe thawed condensation on the inner tent walls. It’s nearly unavoidable at night, and one can only hope for sun and dry weather during the day. Open the flaps and allow the moisture to escape.

Rob Haslam

I bought a Nuway stove. http://nuwaystove.com/product-category/propane-stove/ It is a propane stove that vents to the outside like a wood stove. I had a 3 man Frabill un-insulated pop up. The windows are velcroed in. I simply removed a window, traced it onto a piece of aluminium sheeting, cut it out and stuck velcro on it. Cut a three inch hole in it for the exhaust pipe, stuck the aluminium back in the window spot, and it worked like a charm. Also ran it in my snowtrekker canvas tent this fall, let it run all night for a few nights. No moisture or CO worries. I’m going to buy the Eskimo 650 this year, and do the same window trick, I figure I’ll be able to run the stove on low and keep it warm. Here’s a shot in my canvas tent.

castle-rock-clown

That stove is sweet. Like you said, it exhausts to the outside taking with it the water vapor produced by the burning propane.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I have also thought about the generator route to safely stay warm in winter. My idea was to get a heating pad and put it in the foot of the sleeping bag, and heat only the bag. That would require a fraction of the power of heating the entire hub. Has anyone tried this? See any problems?

I’ve put an electric blanket inside my sleeping bag and was completely comfortable.

I copied Castle Rock clowns design and live it, having a insulated floor is wonderful! I’ve used my big buddy heater at night with no issues but I wouldn’t use a sunflower, I don’t like having the tank in the shack. Thats just a personal preference.

As far as using a buddy heater I’d recommend setting it on a milk crate to avoid creating a pool of water.

castle-rock-clown

Hate to preach, but. As with any heating source using any combustion appliance, please be safe. As added insurance I have a battery operated CO detector right next to my head when sleeping anytime. They are inexpensive and could save your life.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Bringing this thread back to life as I plan on trying it for the first time this winter.

Any recommendations on a sleeping bag?

KPE
    River Falls, WI

That’s exactly what I do. But my otter pro shack holds warmth great. And I couldn’t say the most important thing is a good sleeping bag. Not a cheap one or you will freeze. We camp on the ice in portables all the time. I’m doing it on red this upcoming weekend. I dont use any thing one the floor. I use the sled as my dry area.

bearcat, which sled are you running? I have a Pro Cabin X-Over and would love to run a cot inside of it, however most cheaper small cots are too short to clear the tub and most “big” cots are too long to fit in the shack. I saw a youtuber with a cot, head area in the tub feet area in the fishing zone, I asked him which cot he’s running but got no response.

I camp in my hub shack, but would love to use my otter cabin due to better insulation and having the sled.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Pro cabin should be plenty of room to fit a cot. Ive seen plenty of ice fishing videos of guys camping in their smaller sized flip overs. Im thinking that my cot will work in my otter cottage but i have to test it out this year

Jensen

Just bought the eskimo outbreak 650xd for this purpose, got it today and all I can say is wow. Easily fits 2 cots with room for heaters and plenty of holes. It’s a tad heavy though. Cant wait for early ice to test out.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Any recommendations on a sleeping bag?

first off i dont sleep with a heater running while ice camping. Just mentioning that as it affects what bag i recommend. Last year i used a cabelas mountain trapper bag rated for -15. I froze my arse off. This year i bought this bag

https://www.rei.com/product/158512/marmot-wind-river-10-sleeping-bag-mens?CAWELAID=120217890006814344&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=110328467681&CATCI=pla-431793886976&cm_mmc=PLA_Google%7C21700000001700551_1585120001%7C92700056454454921%7CNB%7C71700000066696194&gclid=Cj0KCQjww4OMBhCUARIsAILndv6PLS8-aPcBHKTeqYhHB4bstk5LTkWuMrV_91AQk_Ra8sV5ErseHikaAhTNEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I did a few days of research and this bag got good reviews and was in a price range i found reasonable. One site had a sale a few months ago for 25% off so i pounced on it. Havent put it to use yet thought so we will see how it does.

One trick i read about is to boil water and put it in a neoprene water bottle and sleep with that in your bag. It wont melt and it will help warm you up.

Only part of my setup i have yet to find a solution for is how to keep my hole from freezing over while i sleep

stevenoak

A guy I duck hunted with, and his buddies. Set up about a 30′ wall tent, with a wood stove inside. Complete with a picnic table. Tv and bar. Don’t think fishing had much to do with it.

tswoboda

Ya’ll are soft with your fish houses and cots and heaters. whistling

Attachments:
    1. 20210310_195726-scaled.jpg

Brad Dimond

I bought an inexpensive fleece liner bag to put in my sleeping bag for winter camping. It makes a big difference in comfort.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve been meaning to try it with my Polar Bird hub, seems like it should work pretty well with the insulated floor. Anyone have one and try it?

Jensen

Foam interlock exercise mats work well for flooring.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I use a cheap Walmart sleeping bag. Never had a issue.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve been meaning to try it with my Polar Bird hub, seems like it should work pretty well with the insulated floor. Anyone have one and try it?

No but my shack has no floor so it has to be better then that.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I have a polar bird with the floor. Froze last season my first time trying it with no heater. Was probably below zero outside. This year should be better

Viewing 27 posts - 61 through 87 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.