Winter boat storage

• Dr. Pomoxis

Just curious how many of you store your boats with electronics and batteries still connected in cold storage for the winter. And I mean COLD storage (Minnesota, not Texas!) I have taken in my batteries and electronics to the house previously, but am feeling lazy this year, and wondering if anyone knows if it makes a difference or has more knowledge on the topic than me.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Electronics yes.
    Batteries no.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I pull the electronics out, not the batteries. And I’ve heard that extreme cold isn’t good for the permanent magnets in trolling motors. I have no idea whether that’s true or not, so I bring the motor inside too.

Ughh, winter crazy

SR

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

If it’s not bolted down (and a few things that are) come out of the boat before it gets put away. Batteries, sonars, trolling motor, all lures and gear, poles, life vests, etc. Both sonars I use in the winter, I’ve made a portable box and bought the ice duecer for my 788 so I can use it ice fishing and I also have a spare power cord for the 1199 so I can ‘browse’ lakes on the lakemaster chip in the house and save waypoints for summer. But also because my boat is stored at a friend’s in his pole shed, so if it were to get stolen or something along those lines at least I didn’t loose everything.

jaymon
    waldo, WI

Batteries stay in. Electronics out. I plug in the onboard charger once a month. Anything a mouse could chew comes out just in case.(Knock on wood I’ve never had a problem.) Then I load it with fabric softener sheets and cover till Ice out.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

who stores a boat?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Electronics yes.
    Batteries no.

Me too.
    Read the owner’s manual for your graph. Best off taking them in when not in use in the cold weather months.

I’m not sure about all on board chargers but the Minnkota’s watch the charge level of your batteries. I and most people leave them on all winter.

Change the lower end grease and add some fuel stabilizer. Scented dryer sheets won’t hurt either.

blackbay

Mine is stored shrink wrapped outdoors in International Falls. So that should count as cold. ;-) Electronics are taken out but batteries and trolling motor stays with the boat. I have AGM batteries and they are fully charged before storage. I’ve been doing this for years and have not had an issue.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Electronics come out and go inside, batteries stay and have a battery tender hooked to them all winter.

I used to cover my boat when I put it in the barn for winter and always had mouse dropping in it. For the last 10 plus year I don’t cover it and I open every storage compartment, not a single mouse dropping in all those years. The cover creates a shelter for the little buggers.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Electronics come out and go inside, batteries stay and have a battery tender hooked to them all winter.

I used to cover my boat when I put it in the barn for winter and always had mouse dropping in it. For the last 10 plus year I don’t cover it and I open every storage compartment, not a single mouse dropping in all those years. The cover creates a shelter for the little buggers.

Stored boats in the pole barn for 14 years uncovered, no problems.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If the boat is in a heated pole shed (~40-45 degrees), would you bother with taking the batteries out? If not, I’d plan to have the on-board minnkota plugged in.

Also, do any of you leave your rods right in your boat? I’m debating leaving mine in the in-floor storage (Again the shed stays North of 40 degrees all winter)

Thoughts?

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

If the boat is in a heated pole shed (~40-45 degrees), would you bother with taking the batteries out? If not, I’d plan to have the on-board minnkota plugged in.

Also, do any of you leave your rods right in your boat? I’m debating leaving mine in the in-floor storage (Again the shed stays North of 40 degrees all winter)

Thoughts?

Just one thought on the reels, might want to back off the drags on all of them to take some pressure off the drag washers.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

Dido for me troller in the basement along with electronics in addition I unhook the red wires from the batteries. Just in case a mouse would get in and chew the wiring it will not short out or stat a fire also I pull the portable gas tank. Use what’s left in snow blower. Happy winter

Kyhl
    Savage

Dido for me troller in the basement along with electronics in addition I unhook the red wires from the batteries. Just in case a mouse would get in and chew the wiring it will not short out or stat a fire also I pull the portable gas tank. Use what’s left in snow blower. Happy winter

While that works, technically you want to disconnect the negative lead. Electrons are repelled from the negative side and attracted to the positive terminal, so the flow of electrons out of a battery flow from the negative to the positive.

The second reason doesn’t really apply to boats but on vehicles with a ground, you want to disconnect the lead matching the ground first, usually negative. This is mainly for safety reasons so that the first lead removed cannot ground out creating a closed circuit for the electrons to travel freely, ie sparks and cables trying to weld themselves to stuff.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.