Winnipeg Report 3/4-3/6

• busse3775
    Fargo, ND

Fished Winnipeg for the first time this past weekend and it did not disappoint. What an amazing fishery!

Friday: Drove from Winnipeg and got out to the Warner access at about 7ish. We brought a non-track wheeler with but there was 3 of us so decided to just drive the truck out. Roughly 4″ of snow fell throughout the morning and fishing was pretty slow. Friday was a total learning experience for us three. Good thing we brought 3 shovels as we got stuck quite a few times throughout the day. Only caught about 15 smaller fish on the day, and I had an absolute giant get off at the bottom of the hole that evening.

Saturday:
    Fished in front of the mouth again and set up in 14 feet next to the pressure ridge. The morning bite was HOT! Ended up catching 75+ fish on the day and only moved once. 12 of the fish were over 24″ and I caught my first MA with a nice 30″ greenback!. The Jackall’s tipped with a minnow was the ticket. Didn’t really seem to matter what color at all.

Sunday:
    We fished till noon in the same spot and the fishing was alright with only one 27″ and a dozen smaller ones. We used rattle baits the entire trip but each one of us also had a flutter spoon tipped with a minnow head in another hole. 75% of the fish we marked were hitting the rattle baits and all big fish were caught on the Jackalls. A new pressure ridge did form out from Warner road running north and south and there was quite a bit of water on the ice. This could change greatly with the warmer temps but we did manage to get over it.

Overall it was an awesome trip and came home with not one broken piece of equipment and also released all of our fish. Definitely looking forward to going back!
    Check out True North Adventures on Facebook for more pictures!

Attachments:
    1. Levi.jpg

2. FullSizeRender.jpg

3. IMG_2194.jpg

4. IMG_2179.jpg

Al Case

Nice fish and great report! Which Clam hub were you using?

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Nice fish. waytogo waytogo Sweet pics.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Nice greenbacks! What does a jackall look like? I haven’t heard of that lure.

mazak500
    South West Michigan

an expensive bait you want to make sure is tied on good. lol

Attachments:
    1. Capture.png

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

Nice fish and great report! Which Clam hub were you using?

The clam hub is a six pack 1160 Mag thermal. It was an awesome house to fish out of and was perfect for three of us. The jackalls or as I like to call them “Buckin Bronco” are a pretty cool rattle bait. They are very loud and have a tungsten weight in the front so the mouth of the lure bucks up and down. I suggest checking out Uncut Angling’s video of Aaron Wiebe fishing the Red River with them. The guys a character.

Ty Kennedy

How thick was the ice up there?

Cameron white

Average 36 inches. Some spots thicker, some shallower. Temps in the mid 50’s starting tomorrow.

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

Ice will be around for awhile. Just depends on how sloppy its going to get around the accesses.

Cameron white

Ice will be around for awhile. Just depends on how sloppy its going to get around the accesses.

Prudens is done. Warner may be tough after the derby tomorrow. Balsom is ok.

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

Yeah heard they are expecting a couple thousand people out for the derby.

Cameron white

Yeah heard they are expecting a couple thousand people out for the derby.

lots of surface water. Was plowing water with the truck on Saturday. A couple of bad slush spots, ridges are really active.. The spot we crossed in the morning had a five foot wide stretch of open water in the evening. 40 inches of solid good ice where I was in the sal channel area. Warner was sloppy, reports are balsom is the same.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.