Winnie Resorts – First Time

• Walleye Hungry

Hey guys and gals,

Heading to winnie for the first time on ice. I usually hit the lake in open water and go out of third river but want to tackle it on the ice with the wheel house and truck for an extended weekend ove MLK day.

Any recommendations on accesses to go out of? Would prefer a resort for some comfort of accessibility and knowledge of trouble spots as well as supporting them with a road fee. I understand pines and tamarack seem to be a well populated area? If we want to get away from people are we better off going out of south or eastern lake side and still have decent fishing.

Looking to get on some perch and walleye but I dont really know the winter pattern on winnie. Is it as “easy” as setting the house up on the top edge of any mid lake bar and fish bottom side of the break during the day. Kinda like a mille lacs mud flat?

My goal for now is just to deep dive into past posts and other similar reports such as fishrapper, but any other tips would be greatly appreciated

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

We fished out of the Pines last weekend and it was ok, most of the houses in my group caught 4-6 eyes over the weekend. Lots of perch, most smaller than I will bother with, and the occasional snot rocket to slime stuff up. We set up of a hump in somewhere from 14-18ft. If it is later in the year I would consider going out of Denny’s I heard there was better fishing down there last year, but the pines had the only good ice and Chad is a good dude. PM me if you would like more details.

P.S. Ask if you can use Tamarack’s access the pines is like taking your truck and trailer down a sledding hill.

mnfisherman18

I don’t know much about Winni, but went up to The Pines last year around christmas and caught our limit of ‘eyes in the bay. I am guessing fishing gets slower in the bay as the season goes on, but we are going back the Jan 20th weekend to give it a try this year. The cabins are pretty minimalist, but clean and fine for a group of guys. John is right, the owner Chad is a really solid dude and gave us a few spots to try which is why we are going back.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

High Banks runs a good road. Not sure about Nodak’s as I’ve only been out of there in the summer, but some good areas by there also and would be worth a phone call.

Coletrain27

Heading up this weekend with my wheelhouse to dennys or high banks not sure what one yet. High banks actually is just opening tomorrow for there road access

Walleye Hungry

Thanks for all the help and guidance guys.

Cole…we are in the same boat for next weekend. Looking at High Banks or Dennys. If you don’t mind, I may have to pick your brain when you return. Hope you get on them!!

Coletrain27

Sounds good walleye, looks like it’s gonna get pretty cold again Saturday and Sunday night. Hopefully there won’t be any equipment issues

Brandon S

Just came back from our first trip out of High Banks. We rented a sleeper for a few nights. Access is nice and wide plowed roads. We went off-road/portable on Saturday and were able to get around fairly well. Some deeper drifts.

Anyway, our sleeper was in about 18-19 ft and caught some nice 23-24″ walleyes. Caught quite a few keeper perch as well. Bite slowed to a crawl during the day. Unfortunately, it was so cold and windy, we didn’t venture out to try a new area.

Justin riegel

Also Just got back from High Banks, We were there Thursday night through Sunday Morning. Lots of changing weather while we were there. We caught a mix of walleyes 10 inches up to 25. Seemed the like 12 inch year class and 21-24 inch class was dominant. We also caught a couple pike, couple perch and a couple pout. Overall not a bad bite for the weather we had, but by no means on fire.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Did you guys rent houses from High Banks? What were your best depths? We’re heading up to Tamarack this weekend but just rent cabins and go off on our own…it’s usually more productive

Justin riegel

Did you guys rent houses from High Banks? What were your best depths? We’re heading up to Tamarack this weekend but just rent cabins and go off on our own…it’s usually more productive

We took an ice castle out of High Banks road. We set up in 27 feet or from the top of the ice. The best and most consistent bite window was in the middle of night from 11AM to 3AM. 2nd best bite window was around sunrise, outside of the those 2 time frames it was slow. We also did not move around at all though, more a relax trip for us.

Coletrain27

Just got back from high banks. Fished 3 days and was very slow for us. Started at 16 fow then moved to 25 fow and had the same results. Was definetly chilly.

AnotherFisherman

I’m considering trying Winnie as well this weekend for a day.

Considering Nodak or Denny’s based off of location. Hoping for some walleye and perch. I plan to setup on any humps I can find out there off the main road.

mnfisherman18

Any updates on how fishing has been? I am heading up to Winni Friday morning and hoping to get on some walleyes. Will report back with how it goes.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Do a Google search of Jeff sundin fishing reports. A site will come up with reports from the area by different sources. Then put it on your favorite. They just updated it today.

Has fishing reports, lake Travel, everything you need!

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Any updates on how fishing has been? I am heading up to Winni Friday morning and hoping to get on some walleyes. Will report back with how it goes.

We went out of Tamarack last weekend. Had decent luck with house in 18’ on top of steep break. Nicer perch and a couple eater eyes deeper, plus a couple overs towards dark. Couple nice pout and few more eyes after dark in house. Small suckers and plain hooks on set lines. We got as far away from anybody else we could. We had a plow but travel off roads was getting difficult. High banks looked like a zoo

Walleye Hungry

Owner of the castle got Covid so we never made the trip (

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mnfisherman18 wrote:</div>

We went out of Tamarack last weekend. Had decent luck with house in 18’ on top of steep break. Nicer perch and a couple eater eyes deeper, plus a couple overs towards dark. Couple nice pout and few more eyes after dark in house. Small suckers and plain hooks on set lines. We got as far away from anybody else we could. We had a plow but travel off roads was getting difficult. High banks looked like a zoo

High banks had some Facebook groups there last weekend. Hopefully this weekend is quieter. High banks closed there access tonight anticipating 40mph winds this evening until further notice.

mnfisherman18

Thanks for the info guys, and Glenn I agree the Jeff Sundin site is very useful. I will report back.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Thanks for the info guys, and Glenn I agree the Jeff Sundin site is very useful. I will report back.

our cabin isn’t that far from Winnie, so I look at that alot. At least I get a general idea what it’s like up there

AnotherFisherman

Found lots of fish in 20-25 FOW on Sunday! Had a great day enjoying mother nature.

Coletrain27

Anyone going this weekend? We will be trying high banks again. Looks like another cold snap this weekend. Go figure, every weekend I have off it seems like that happens devil

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I will be up next weekend. Thinking of going out of Denny’s. This weekend I have a holiday party I have to go to.

mnfisherman18

Bite was pretty slow for us this weekend. Lots of small perch, but never found a consistent walleye bite. One guy did catch a 27″, but that was only fish of the night in their house.

MNdrifter

Last weekend out of Highbanks was pretty slow. Caught about 12 walleyes Friday-Monday. Sat on an inside turn at the base of a break in 29 FOW. Wife got a couple nice ones, a 24” and 26”. Did decent out of Dennys this weekend, a lot of 10-14” walleyes. Couple 14-21’s, 2 24’s and one 27 1/2”. Was on a point of a flat in 24 FOW. Caught multiple eelpout and perch at both places. I can highly recommend both places as far as service. Dennys surprised me Saturday night when I was filling my generator before bed. They plowed to my house so I could get out easily Sunday. I never asked for help they just seen my trail I had beaten down and plowed straight to the front of my pickup and back drug so I could get out in the morning. I tipped the young gal in the plow truck and thanked her. Funny story about the 27 1/2”, wife’s rattle reel goes off just as I was crawling back into bed at 2 am from just releasing an eelpout. I tell her, she grumbled that she didn’t want to touch an eelpout so I got up and took it. She wasn’t too happy when I said “hey honey will you wake up and take a picture of the fish I caught on your rattle reel”. 😂

Attachments:
    1. C0EEA87D-C799-4608-A26E-28F9E6B1359C-scaled.jpeg

Cooper

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. We are staying at the Pines Resort this weekend for some ice fishing action. Heading up Friday. What is the best Friday fish fry in the area?

Thanks,
    Coop

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. We are staying at the Pines Resort this weekend for some ice fishing action. Heading up Friday. What is the best Friday fish fry in the area?

Thanks,
    Coop

gosh dam place has good food. Not sure if fish is on the menu at all, but I know they used to fry your fish for you if you brought them cleaned. It’s been a while since I’ve been there.

Coletrain27

Gosh dam has good food and it’s close to the pines. A couple fridays ago they had a fish special but we did not get it. They will also fry your fish if you want to bring your own in

Coletrain27

Heading up again Thursday morning. Fished high banks the last 2 times with crappy luck and horrible weather. Gonna try dennys this time and hopefully have a little luck

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Cooper, Welcome to IDO. If you want to make it easy on yourself, Chad at the pines will bring food out to you on the lake. He has more than pizza, not sure about fish. Very cool guy.

Coletrain, we did Denny’s last weekend. It was a little slow for sure, my shack kept 5 eyes and a couple perch. Caught 2 22inch eyes that had to go back, actually caught one of them twice as I released one he somehow got the hook again going back down the hole and I had to bring him back up to release again. All but one keeper came on rattle reels mix of red and chartruse hooks, smaller rainbows and fatheads worked better than the expensive shinners I bought the last of River Rats inventory.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.