Ice Fishing?

• mattkenseth17
    FOND DU LAC

ice fishing on winnebago sucks al
    but check lake-link.com for reports on it

axl
    Menasha, Wisconsin

There are several people ice fishing right now in the Asylum Bay area. The last report i was given, told me that small minnows on wind tip-ups were producing some niced size perch early in the morning. Also, a lot of people are fishing off Wendt’s landing, but the word is, that it is really slow. Be careful out there, as a truck went through the ice on the north shore, near fire lane 8 this last week.

alans
    Waterford, WI

Thanks for the info guys. I can always count on you MK17.

axl
    Menasha, Wisconsin

Ice fishing on Lake Winnebago can be rather tough at times, and at other times very easy. The one key to fishing this lake on the hard water is to move around, and locate fish. Too many times, guys get all set up with their shanties, and all there gear, and then they do not catch fish, and complain, that fishing is slow on the lake. I feel a key to having success is to drill a few holes, and if you do not have success, then move to a new spot, and drill a few more, and continue to do so, until you locate active fish. We haved moved several times in a day to locate fish, but it is worth the effort. It may be time consuming, but it is definetly worth it.
    A few anglers are having some luck along the west shore reefs closer to dark on either jigging rapalas, or shiners in 10-12 feet of water. Most fish are in the 14-17 inch range, with an occasional bigger or smaller one tossed into the mix. I heard they were getting a few perch out from Wendt’s, but this is just hear say, I have not been to the south to see it yet. please use caution on this large body of water, as cracks and open water can some up quickly. I would hate to see you get in trouble out there. there is little snow, so I suggest you bring your creepers, and keep the speeds down to 15 MPH or less. A good rule of thumb is, if you cannot stop in 100 feet on the lake, you are going to fast. Be safe, have fun, and try and save a few walleyes for me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.