Winnebago walleye help

• BRANDON RINGWOLSKI

Hi All. Looking for advice from the Winnebago fisherman.

What is the basic walleye patterns on the winnebago system from ice out to early ice? I just bought my first boat, a ranger reata, and want to take my dad fishing winnebago this weekend. From my research it seems reefs this time of year are good? I can not troll cranks as the big motor will only go down to about 3.2mph from my playing around (plan to get a kicker mounted in fall). So I can drag or pitch jigs, slip bobber fish, or pull crawler/spinner harnesses with the bow mount. What would be some good methods?

Is there a period where leeches and crawlers outperform minnows and vice versa when jigging or pulling spinners? From all of the report reading i dont see bottom bouncers mentioned so how are you all pulling your spinners/ crawler harnesses (inline weights/snap weights)? Do you ever pull spinners with leeches? Hopefully someone can shed some light for me. I appreciate any insight and look forward to learning this system.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

You can catch them in many ways, wind often determining how. Crawler and a jig is most likely the most popular… be it drifting over reefs or casting into the wind blown side of a reef. Personally I do well casting cranks into those wind blown sides at times, even more often rocky shorelines getting hit with waves.

Wind can make all the difference when not trolling. I don’t like flat calm days at all here come summer. But the west shore getting beat up with some wind can be great for cranks for walleye and bass.

Dave maze
    Isanti

You can slow your trolling speed with a drift sock or a couple 5 gal buckets with some holes drilled in them. We did this in a buddy’s boat that didn’t have a kicker and it worked good.

Buckeye1

1/8 oz jig and a half crawler drifting over feeds or casting will catch a lot of walleyes on Winnebago. Pretty much all I use. I fish mostly west side reefs north of oshkosh.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.