Will the price of gas effect your fishing?

• KPE
    River Falls, WI

Only death will stop me from enjoying the things that I enjoy.

Gitchi Gummi

Gas is only a drop in the bucket as far as my hunting and fishing costs go. Changes in gas prices do not impact any of my decisions as far as what I do for fun.

Timmy

My bigger trips will only be affected by having another paying adult or two in the boat. In the past, I would take the boy and a friend of his for a long weekend, and the bill for the entire trip would come out of my pocket. Adding an adult or two and splitting it will make the trips no more costly to me……. I am still going, because expensive gas and a day of trolling is still cheaper than a therapist. Come on, summer!

Pitter patter

Looking forward to boating and fishing this year. With the outrageous fuel cost I’m hoping most of the tourists and their Baja boats that invade our little town stay closer to home.

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Nope, gas prices don’t affect my outings.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

wont stop me. i will grumble about it but it wont stop me. I have one trip up to VNP that ive been looking forward to for months. Other than that will just be heading to the cabin, hunting shack, and a few trips to Mille Lacs.

On a side note might use it as an opportunity to get to know some other fisherman and share a boat and expenses though

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It might make me fish closer to home. I’ve never been much of a long distance angler or hunter anyways.

Most of the fuel I consume is in the truck hauling the boat to the lake. I use a minimal amount in the boat.

Karry Kyllo

I’m still planning on making a 220 mile round trip every weekend if not longer on most weekends weather allowing.

shefland
    Walker

I will always have gas in my boat for fishing no matter what, destinations? may have to think about that, but live only 1 block off of Leech, so more time here

picklerick
    Central WI

Yes. We usually fish out of our camper about 175 miles north of home nearly every weekend until Oct. Not going to happen this year. Definitely not hauling the boat to NW Ontario either. Green Bay and Lake Winnebago are an hour from home. I’ll be getting to know them better this year and if things get much worse we may sell the camper and site.

Iowaboy1

Its going to cost us an additional 195 bucks give or take if gas hits the 5 dollar mark.
    The boat will drink another 60 or so bucks over normal.
    A couple of hundred bucks is not going to stop us from going to da big nort woods as my sanity is worth much more than that, that and I only get one week a year to go anywhere.

Back to work, I gotta come up with that extra money somehow!!

queenswake
    NULL

Back 10-15 years ago during one of the times gas was over $4.00, I remember needing to fill up both my truck and pleasure boat at the same time and both had near-empty tanks. 30 gal in the truck and 60 gal in the boat. With the credit card limits at $75 back then, I spent easily 30 minutes at the pump cycling through transactions to fill it all. Quite the dent on the wallet.

But then and like now, it’s only gas. Unless you drive for a living, people make way too much about the cost of gas. Especially with today’s more efficient car and boat engines. People will gripe about the cost of gas but then think nothing about dropping $100 for a meal out that night. It’s all about priorities.

ThunderLund78

Beer is about $8-$10/gallon and that’s just your domestic light! That will go up with gas, too!

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I’m more concerned about spottail prices this spring than gas!! They might be $20/doz 😳

Gas has never bothered me. It’s just part of my hobbies. I don’t even look anymore.

robby
    Quad Cities

Yes it will.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I’m more concerned about spottail prices this spring than gas!! They might be $20/doz 😳

Gas has never bothered me. It’s just part of my hobbies. I don’t even look anymore.

Why will spottail prices be jacked up?

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Charlie W wrote:</div>

Why will spottail prices be jacked up?

I have no actual reason behind this other than the increases I noticed the last few years. Simply a guess and to stress how little I’m concerned about gas. It is largely due to the lack of availability due to water temps each spring.

That being said, I’ve worked at a resort a couple years and have connections with some bait shops in the northland. They can charge whatever they want; people will buy them no matter the cost. It’s insane.

Ok. Back to gas.

Michael Best

I doubt it will affect my trips much at the current prices. Now if you tack on another couple dollars I will cut back on the amount of long distance trips.

My concern is if prices go up how much will it affect items we all buy everyday or need.

catnip
    south metro

I think I will fish/boat just as much this year and hopefully more. But maybe if I pull the pontoon the 60 or so miles so I can actually catch some nice cats we will be grilling burgers instead of Ribeyes. And if we go closer to home we will be grilling the Ribeyes. the toon is pretty easy on gas as I usually just put to where we are fishing it’s the Tahoe that gets real thirsty pulling it. My crown Vic got 15mpg pulling my pontoon and the Tahoe gets about 9mpg pulling the same toon😂

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I’m going to complain a little more. Maybe take it easier on the 225 optimax throttle, but in the end it’s money well spent. Still planning on red wing next weekend and then superior in mid April!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

i fill my rig up plump full in November before she sleeps until March. i should be good until late may or june before i re fill. i do drive 130 miles each trip so it will add up but can’t do anything about it so i will live my life. no complaints here…….Work, Family, Food, Fishing.
    Getting the boat ready for 2022 tomorrow. Play nice and be safe everyone.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I am hoping to fish more than the last few years, and not go broke doing it.

vtec

As the grouse and others have said:
    You can figure out other savings to make up for gas if you need to. But let me know how you’re going to buy more time.

I certainly will not let the price of gas affect my “tomorrow”.
    My wife and I will turn 70 this year. A year and a half ago I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. Thankfully God has allowed the chemo treatments to stop the progression for now and we are able to continue with our fishing trips, 5 booked so far this summer to LOTW and Canada -)
    The main message I guess is you can be blindsided with something like this in a heartbeat, so try not to take tomorrow for granted. If at all possible don’t let the political BS fallout change what you love to do, for as long as you can do it.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I was pleasantly surprised when I took the boat out yesterday and it was 3/4 full from when I put it away. I consider myself money ahead at this point.

It won’t affect me at all. I haven’t really looked at it much but my wife and I haven’t commuted for over 2 years now. We’ve probably saved a couple grand in gas and that will continue.

I will complain a little when I fill up though….we own 4 vehicles and a boat. 3 of the 4 vehicles require premium and the boat gets non-oxy premium. Oh well, only live once!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I was pleasantly surprised when I took the boat out yesterday and it was 3/4 full from when I put it away. I consider myself money ahead at this point.

I was just up at my hunting property and thinking the same thing. Before winter storage, I filled up the tractor and all the equipment and filled up my fuel barrel to prevent condensation.

Don’t tell anybody. The government will be looking to sock us with a tax on the market gain.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

A full 36 gallons in the tritoon, along with 24 in the boat to prevent any condensation. Who needs stock when you can just buy fuel strategically?!?

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Probably. 6 hour drive for a long weekend won’t happen unless I have someone to split fuel costs. I will need to turn that into a week long trip to make it worth the expense.

I’m retiring at the end of the year. I will start fishing closer to home since I will be able to fish during the week. I try to avoid boat launch zoo’s. I plan to spend some time fishing Tonka and other smaller lakes. I need to gain more experience fishing walleyes in the weeds. Looks like Mega live will help with that.

On big water with the Skeeter 2100 I do burn some gas. No way around that except to split costs with another person.

Just think how much Canada resort gas will cost.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

A full 36 gallons in the tritoon, along with 24 in the boat to prevent any condensation. Who needs stock when you can just buy fuel strategically?!?

Back in the late 90’s, First Fuel Banks in the St. Cloud area allowed you to pre-buy. I was in high school, and I remember pre-buying 100 gallons of gas for $79.90. It was awesome!

Per cabin weekend, I figure 20 gallons for the truck and 20-30 gallons for the Nautique. It’s not gonna stop me from enjoying myself.

The pontoon will get 25 gallons when we launch it and won’t need any more till at least August. )

Viewing 28 posts - 31 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.