Wildfire Smoke

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m 43 and before about 2018 or so I don’t ever remember getting the wildfire smoke like we have the last 5 years from Canada or elsewhere my entire life. Is it just me or was I just drunk the first 30 years of my life?

tswoboda

Late June 2015 we had a solid week of Canadian wildfire smoke here. Only reason I remember it is because I was lucky enough to be unemployed at the time and was crushing muskies on topwater during the middle of the day that whole week.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Late June 2015 we had a solid week of Canadian wildfire smoke here. Only reason I remember it is because I was lucky enough to be unemployed at the time and was crushing muskies on topwater during the middle of the day that whole week.

Man, I really don’t remember. Thanks for the reminder.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I was thinking the same thing. I just don’t remember it past the last few years.

JEREMY
    BP

Maybe it just seems worse because when it happens now its not just a day or 2. Its a month straight.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Canadian fires for the most part, are a natural occurrence. Its natures way of removing old forest and replacing with new. It does go in cycles. Evidently we are in a cycle where the forests that affect our air quality are the ones currently being recycled. It could be another 50 or 70 years until they burn again. I literally watched a Canadian forest fire start from a Float Plane while air born. There was a HUGE crack of lightening that hit a tree, the tree burst into flames and with-in seconds, it was jumping from tree top to tree top. The pilot advised she was gonna fly over to get the coordinates… you could feel the heat of the fire she got so low …. doah

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I agree I do not recall these being a thing when I was younger. Easy to say well everything is blown up now with the internet, but one would think we would have recalled the smokey haze.

Tom schmitt

I remember the yellowstone fires leaving us with smoke but not much before that.

LabDaddy1

I think you’re right. I brought this exact observation before my dad, who is 76, the other day, and he said, “meh, it’s normal,” basically…

Maybe he and big g are right, and it’s a natural cycle, but it does seem to be getting worse with time like so many other things lately, unfortunately.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I went back and looked through my photos and did find some pictures of Canadian wildfire smoke back in July of 2015. I think that was my first recollection of this type of smoke.

I remember growing up the occasional fire in the BWCA and having to see what the fire restrictions were before going to the BWCA and SNF, but never remember seeing or smelling smoke like this before 2015.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1781_Original-scaled.jpeg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I recall it being bad in 2018 (I think). I’ve never had lung issues, and I ended up with pneumonia!

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

According to the numbers this year is unprecedented.
    If you take that plus the goofy jet stream stuff going on… I think that explains it.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0790.jpeg

tswoboda

I went back and looked through my photos and did find some pictures of Canadian wildfire smoke back in July of 2015. I think that was my first recollection of this type of smoke.

Full disclosure I didn’t remember either, but I’ve been getting these notifications all week. Maybe the smoke isn’t as extreme or obvious in the pictures but there is no blue sky, it wasn’t overcast, and the times are 11:33 and 2:17. I’ve been getting these all week now.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230630_111229_Photos.jpg

2. Screenshot_20230630_111223_Photos.jpg

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.