WI 2020 deer gun hunt – lost faith

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

With the number of shots you heard, are AR’s taking over deer hunting? Maybe it is time for magazine capacity limits?

A seminar auto ‘06, 270, 25-60…in the hands of someone who can point and spray is nearly as fast as any ar. It’s giving up accuracy for quantity. I have an older 7600 pump 270win that I can rattle off shots just as quick as any semi. However, I’m spraying a 12” group at 50yards- definitely not ethical. Additionally I can drop and pop a magazine in that just as fast as anyone with an ar. So I wouldn’t favor more restrictions on ar platforms, I prefer beating common sense into dumbasses that abuse our resources.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I prefer beating common sense into dumbasses that abuse our resources.

Don’t bother trying – Even though it sure would feel good. Just Remember
    ” Ignorance is curable, Stupid is forever “

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

With the ammo shortage I have had several guys come in to our gunshop with issues killing coyotes this year. After talking to them they were using 55fmj’s from their AR’s and I have talked a few others out of 30-06 FMJ’s because that is the only thing we had on hand. Not to re open your post but I thought that was interesting and made some sense to some of the little holes on the wounded deer you had.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Last I looked, FMJ are illegal to use for deer in WI. If it changed, I am unaware of it

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

Last I looked, FMJ are illegal to use for deer in WI. If it changed, I am unaware of it

just because its illegal doesn’t mean people wont do it, some people are sharp like a marble to them a 30 06 is a 30 06.
    I know some one who was using a 12 ga. slugs or so he thought as when he shot 3 or 4 times and didn’t seem like he was hitting anything and looked at the box the slugs came in it said 12 ga. slugs but the empty shells said 12 ga. OO buck and so some one did a switch in the store. I would have thought everyone would have noticed the they were crimped over bird shot and no slug exposed but I guess we are all different whistling

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

With the number of shots you heard, are AR’s taking over deer hunting? Maybe it is time for magazine capacity limits?

I think a 30 round Pmag only holds 10 450 Bushmaster rounds, which is what my lever action 44 mag holds. I don’t think capacity is the issue. I think it’s sh*tty hunters.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

hummm
    sars in the deer? or something even more sinister?
    i would to have taken a few deer to the state for testing for sure..
    if you see that again this spring i would get the dnr on it for sure!
    and maybe the state collage folks to help with the testing, that would be a great school project for management school!

Hard to do when you have zero trust in the DNR. About 10 or 12 years ago a similar situation came up on a farm near Lone Rock, WI. DNR had brought in a couple snipers and they had a slaughter fest before they knew the exact problem. We’ve already been through the urine poor management of CWD and the greed that was enhanced by all the free anterless tags. not ready to go through another drought of multiple years of no deer on the landscape

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

With the ammo shortage I have had several guys come in to our gunshop with issues killing coyotes this year. After talking to them they were using 55fmj’s from their AR’s and I have talked a few others out of 30-06 FMJ’s because that is the only thing we had on hand. Not to re open your post but I thought that was interesting and made some sense to some of the little holes on the wounded deer you had.

This was my thought as well when I read Randy’s original post. Several idiots joined a hunt on a nearby property and were using FMJ bullets.

Very sad that anyone would take so little care.

Grouse

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.