Why is Clam Frost Ice Line So Expensive?

• 3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I was at Scheels yesterday and picked up a couple spools of suffix, 3 pound 110 yard spools of ice line for $3.69 each. Clam Frost was right next to it at 8.99 for 110 yard spool. Online shield says 6.99, but it was 8.99 yesterday in the store. What in the world is Clam thinking being that much more expensive than Suffix? Frost wasn’t that expensive before and I’ve tried it and I’ve noticed no difference. What’s up? Is it just a matter of if you can get it price it that way?

AK Guy

Isn’t Frost fluorocarbon? That would explain the difference.

ekruger01

I actually prefer the Clam Mono over the others that I have tried, So I am willing toe pay the extra. However it did go up in price this year for sure. Guessing maybe it had to do with it being non existant most of last year.

Brittman

Brand positioning?

Costs?
    It may be that the manufacturing costs with CLAM line could be higher also … no idea, but when you think about the amount of line produced and sold by Berkey … then maybe Stren, then Suffix (rapala), others… Seaguar, Clam, (sure I am missing many).

You would think everything will go deep discount very soon unless the retailer has an agreement with the producer not to go that way.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just like the reels. They jack the price up 20 bucks, change nothing and people keep buying. So why not is the real question

wormdunker

Chinses import cost

It is made in Japan, if you just buy Sunline Mono and Sunline Floro you are getting the same thing less the color. Still a bit spendy, but more yards/spool and far less than Clam frost 110 yard spool. So if Sunline is making it for Clam, who exactly do you think is marking it up at retail. Clam.

Brittman

Most everything imported from China still incurs the 25% tariff (Trump admin started, Biden admin keeping). Not necessarily a bad thing especially if manufacturing rules and the currency exchange rates are not equal or “fair”.

Freight rates (ocean) have returned to “normal”. Costs are a quarter of last year’s insane rates and the typical month(s) delays are gone. Supply chain costs and timing are fine right now.

Brittman

Brand positioning.

There is nothing wrong with that.

If you have a limited quantity and the market believes your product is superior … you are free to charge more.

If you (the consumer) do not like it, try something else.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I’ve got zero complaints about the 3# Suffix. It seems like silk compared to 3# Trilene micro ice, and I’m a Trilene fan.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think the market has dictated that since it first came out. It has been extremely popular for Clam and the price has not slowed down sales. Businesses go for the best margins they can get away with. Clam is no different than any other. They do what the market lets them.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I’m only asking, wondering if there’s something different about it. I’m not a Clam basher, I’ve used Frost and thought it was a good quality product.

Brittman

If you are ever in Scheels and the online price does not match the store price … just ask them … they will adjust your in store purchase. You can also buy online and pick up in store too. They usually fill those orders in under an hour. Scheels is all about the customer.

I have noticed Mills Fleet Farm does not change their prices on tags or signs… but anything on sale usually scans at the sale price on their instore scanners. I usually check before marching all the way up front. Mills Fleet Farm self check-out is a great add.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m only asking, wondering if there’s something different about it. I’m not a Clam basher, I’ve used Frost and thought it was a good quality product.

Wasn’t implying you were. I honestly haven’t looked at line prices for awhile but I’m sure many of them have gone up the last couple years like most products.

tim hurley

Not a fan of Trump but I liked that he hit China with tariffs.

Charles

I just been using jbraid for ice fishing, surprisingly it isn’t that bad with icing up.

kayl

Sunline is made in Japan and is very good line. Clam is definitely marking it up on their end, but it’s good line.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I’ve got zero complaints about the 3# Suffix. It seems like silk compared to 3# Trilene micro ice, and I’m a Trilene fan.

Suffix Ice Magic is one thing I have not gone away from since getting back into ice fishing about 7 years ago. It really does work and is always affordable which is nice to see since the number of reels I spool seems to increase every year…

I use the clear but my eyes are starting to tell me to try the orange.

Jimmy Jones

While I do not ice fish, I do like the Clam Frost Braid in 3# for jigging dock pilings in the very early spring and late fall. I have two standard rods spooled with the gray color specifically for that purpose. I don’t fart round with any of the dinky ice tackle when doing this and typically use 1/32 sized tackle, spoons primarily, and there is no coiling in the line. Sensitivity is out of this world on even the lightest of hits. Upward hits show as a bow in the line immediately. And its tough…. one 8 pound walleye has been put on the decking using the 3 pound stuff.

Like any braid in cold weather it will collect some ice but if I do my part and keep the water out of the guides with a quick pop on the handle the line won’t ice much.

The only issue I have with the line is it’s diameter. It is like handling a very fine hair. 3# Nanofil is like rope compared to the Frost braid. For my needs on the docks this Clam Frost Braid is just the ticket.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Introductory discounted price is over…now the profitable price tag is current.

sometimes that’s just how it is.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.