Who lets the females go?

• river rat randy
    Hager City WI

…1st of all what do you mean by SO CALLED GUIDES.?…And as far as MAKEING MONEY OFF THE RESOURCES. Why shouldn’t so called guides make money off the resource. There are tons of people that make money off the resources. Like Bait Shops, Cabela’s, Bass Pro, Guides for Elk, deer, Bear, Goats, Sheep Waterfowl, etc. etc…Resorts, Tackle companies, Boat makers, Boat Sales and Service, Motels, Bait Dealers, Gun Sales for hunting, etc. etc. etc. etc. … River Rat Randy Guide service ” SO CALLED GUIDE” Retired. … …rrr

Whats your deal rrr? dairycats original comment was not calling out every guide out there, and if you know you are ethical than what does it matter? You took the whole post to another level.
    [/quote]…B E You rrr right he was just calling out the “So Called Guides”. Not Every Guide…So it must be up to every guide to figure out if he is a Guide or just a “so Called Guide”.??…… As far as taking the whole post to another level. Guess I did a good job of that. laugh Thank You For The Compliment.!! smirk … …rrr

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Thanks for the input RRR! I miss Dusty! always wanted to get out and pitch hair and plastics with him…He is very good at that…
    Actually it was Dusty and Ben Garver that started me dragging jigs back in the day.
    Id love to get him out working blades…but then those Saugers are suckers for blades! )

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0304.jpg

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Thanks for the input RRR! I miss Dusty! always wanted to get out and pitch hair and plastics with him…He is very good at that…
    Actually it was Dusty and Ben Garver that started me dragging jigs back in the day.
    Id love to get him out working blades…but then those Saugers are suckers for blades! )

.. Tom Trust Me On This One. Dusty is NOT a blade guy Will NEVER Be One.!!
    But pitching Hair and Plastics he is one of the BEST.! It is always fun to jump in the boat with Dustin, cause you no if he is out fun fishing you are going to fish nothing but Big Fish All day… …rrr

mixedbag

After reading this post Im surely keeping and eating every single 18-22 I legally can. Too many little turds think they are DNR asking how many inches my 17-19 range fish are when then go in the bucket. Mind your own business.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

People buy a license to fish and should be able to decide what they want to keep. What I don’t find so credible is the original poster’s avatar showing a LARGE, obviously pre-spawn walleye nowhere near water, pissing and moaning about other people who want to keep fish they’re entitled to. Double standard to the max. If I were him I’s take that picture down and replace it with Jeckyl and Hyde.

WarEagle

Boy, yeah, jeez, I just noticed the original poster’s avatar pic. That is a prespawn walleye. At least allow him to defend himself Tom……..

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

He can reply any time he’s ready. Why should he put guides on a whipping post and have a picture that obviously shows him with a big, pre-spawn walleye that isn’t shown near any water as far as him releasing it goes? I have nothing but respect for the guides on this site even if I don’t agree with them all the time. If someone opts to take a cheap shot at them as a whole regarding keeping big fish, then I also feel that whoever is taking the shot should maybe not be all ear to ear grin holding one of what he’s harping about in a location that doesn’t allow for that fish to go back. I’d like to hear him justify this.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Why should he put guides on a whipping post and have a picture that obviously shows him with a big, pre-spawn walleye that isn’t shown near any water as far as him releasing it goes?

I wonder how many walleyes like that came to Diarycat’s boat in his lifetime?

I also wonder how many walleyes like that came to a Guides boat in their lifetime?

I don’t wonder who has

MORE

responsibility. Perhaps that was the intent of the OP.

dairycat

I just want respond to Tom and the others. That was the first walleye I ever caught! I just started walleye fishing 6 years ago! Ever since then I regret keeping that fish. To this day its the biggest too, 28.5″. There you go. Before you guys spout off know the facts! LAST post for me on this topic. I just hope I saved a few more female walleyes this season. See ya on the water.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

This thread is pretty disappointing… not typical IDO.

DC was trying to commend most people I believe… but I don’t know him. Probably could have worded the guide comments differently but hey everyone is human. Don’t think it’s necessary to trash him on the internet. I have a 15 inch crappie on the wall but I’ve let go dozens bigger since. That was my first as well. I guess I’m a hypocrite too then…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m sitting here on my front door steps looking up the Mississippi River at all the lights of the City of the Vermilion River.

I’m thinking how much fun those guys are having.

WarEagle

He can reply any time he’s ready. Why should he put guides on a whipping post and have a picture that obviously shows him with a big, pre-spawn walleye that isn’t shown near any water as far as him releasing it goes? I have nothing but respect for the guides on this site even if I don’t agree with them all the time. If someone opts to take a cheap shot at them as a whole regarding keeping big fish, then I also feel that whoever is taking the shot should maybe not be all ear to ear grin holding one of what he’s harping about in a location that doesn’t allow for that fish to go back. I’d like to hear him justify this.

See Tom, always give someone a chance to defend themselves.

Night Caster

Who care’s who keeps what the DNR has already tried that on Mille Lacs and look at there success!! You do what you think is right and leave the other to do what they want. End of story. Happy trails

critterhouse 75
    western wisconsin

Extend the refuge down river to the 63 bridge for March and April.That will protect the spawners, no more arguing about who keeps what.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Extend the refuge down river to the 63 bridge for March and April.That will protect the spawners, no more arguing about who keeps what.

..Or Make It a 3 fish limit with one over 20″ and ban night fishing March 1st thru April 30th ..My 2cents. waytogo cool … …rrr PS– No matter what we say or think what should be done to protect the spawners. The DNR of MN and Wi can never seem to get on the same page.!!!!!!

WarEagle

What if I can only get out and fish during the night some times?

Mike Denney

What a bunch of crap from the pool 4 catch and release advocates. Don’t you agree with the DNR that fishing pressure has NO bearing on the population? And even if it did, you catch and release folks are killing just as many, if not more walleyes than the average Joe (like me).

If all you guys go to barbless hooks, no treble hooks, a single hook per lure, no stinger hooks, no Sonars that snag, no nets, no fish flopping around in the bottom of the boat, no dropped fish by clients with a poor grip, no pictures (the fish are out of the water too long), and can horse every fish to the boat for immediate release in less than 30 seconds (any longer and their survival drops like a rock), keep your fishing to a minimum in the hot summer months, and don’t fish the pre-spawn, spawn, and immediate post-spawn, then I would gladly follow suit. Anyone? Anyone? Buehler? Buehler? Yeah, didn’t think so.

And if you really need to tie into a big fish for a fight, try catfish, carp, drum or smallmouth. They make walleyes look like pansies. And if you’re not going to keep them anyway, what’s the difference?

So until that time comes, don’t you dare yell, “Put ‘er back in the water” to me down by the Redwing lock and dam when I pop a 3 pounder into my livewell (yes, the fish-release Nazis actually will do that to a guy).

And if you wanna give advice to your client, keep it to lure color, presentation, location, depth, etc where you’re considered an expert. But don’t guilt a person into releasing a nice fish just because you’ve got a bug up your butt about it. You guys are clearly NOT fish management experts (nor am I, but I’m at least paying attention to the DNR experts).

Bottom line, it’s you killing all the fish, not me.

So happy fishing hypocrites…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Screw it, I’m going to McDonalds. )

WarEagle

What a bunch of crap from the pool 4 catch and release advocates. Don’t you agree with the DNR that fishing pressure has NO bearing on the population? And even if it did, you catch and release folks are killing just as many, if not more walleyes than the average Joe (like me).

If all you guys go to barbless hooks, no treble hooks, a single hook per lure, no stinger hooks, no Sonars that snag, no nets, no fish flopping around in the bottom of the boat, no dropped fish by clients with a poor grip, no pictures (the fish are out of the water too long), and can horse every fish to the boat for immediate release in less than 30 seconds (any longer and their survival drops like a rock), keep your fishing to a minimum in the hot summer months, and don’t fish the pre-spawn, spawn, and immediate post-spawn, then I would gladly follow suit. Anyone? Anyone? Buehler? Buehler? Yeah, didn’t think so.

And if you really need to tie into a big fish for a fight, try catfish, carp, drum or smallmouth. They make walleyes look like pansies. And if you’re not going to keep them anyway, what’s the difference?

So until that time comes, don’t you dare yell, “Put ‘er back in the water” to me down by the Redwing lock and dam when I pop a 3 pounder into my livewell (yes, the fish-release Nazis actually will do that to a guy).

And if you wanna give advice to your client, keep it to lure color, presentation, location, depth, etc where you’re considered an expert. But don’t guilt a person into releasing a nice fish just because you’ve got a bug up your butt about it. You guys are clearly NOT fish management experts (nor am I, but I’m at least paying attention to the DNR experts).

Bottom line, it’s you killing all the fish, not me.

So happy fishing hypocrites…

obsessed much?

Mike Denney

War Eagle,
    Yeah, not one of my shining moments. I need to choose my words more carefully when my blood begins to boil.

But the fact remains pool 4 is very healthy, despite what any of us do or don’t do; it’s all because it’s such an excellent fishery.

Catch and release is a good thing, but it’s not a cure-all by any means because many of the fish die anyway. It’s not good enough to just simply release them, they have to be handled properly, or not targeted in the first place by not fishing the spawn. Those big gals fight their hardest, are exhausted when they’re hoisted out of the water, gulping for oxygen as we try to find the camera, and then we expect them to go back and resume their activities like nothing happened. Sorry, but that’s not how it really works all the time.

I care very much about the health of the walleye population, but I don’t want to feel guilty about keeping one here or there, and I certainly don’t need guys harassing me on the water. Especially when they admit to catching 60-70 fish a day during the spawn.

So yes, I was kinda rude and I apologize for that. And I hope we can all fish happily together.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Sometimes sugar coating doesn’t work.

I don’t think I know you Mike, but in my arm chair opinion (with DNR input) I totally agree with both of your posts…more so the more coated one. )

Buckeye86
    Inactive

Maybe if people kept their mouths closed and didn’t post every picture and report and let everts take their picture to put it on fb the problem wouldn’t be as big. P4 has always had lots of people but we don’t need all this advertising so someone can make a buck off selling a jig and telling you where to fish and where to launch. I understand that everyone has a right to fish and if they take their 6 fish home that’s fine but the amount of people the last 2-4 years is getting ridiculous! I believe something definitely needs to be done and if that means catch and release during a certain time period or a closed season for the spawn then so be it. All the studies that were done that say the pressure doesn’t hurt well those studies were not done during the years that we have now and we have yet to see the true effects of the pressure the river has been receiving. Just my $.02

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Good thinking Ben…Keep it quiet so you can have it all to yourself. Brilliant…:???:…RR

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Maybe if people kept their mouths closed and didn’t post every picture and report and let everts take their picture to put it on fb the problem wouldn’t be as big. P4 has always had lots of people but we don’t need all this advertising so someone can make a buck off selling a jig and telling you where to fish and where to launch. I understand that everyone has a right to fish and if they take their 6 fish home that’s fine but the amount of people the last 2-4 years is getting ridiculous! I believe something definitely needs to be done and if that means catch and release during a certain time period or a closed season for the spawn then so be it. All the studies that were done that say the pressure doesn’t hurt well those studies were not done during the years that we have now and we have yet to see the true effects of the pressure the river has been receiving. Just my $.02

x2.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Good thinking Ben…Keep it quiet so you can have it all to yourself. Brilliant…:???:…RR

x2

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Personally, I think the guys that have been fishing P4 for more then 20 years shouldn’t be allowed to fish it anymore.

This would allow the newer folks to enjoy what they’ve had mostly to themselves over the years and still keep fishing pressure down. (if that’s really the motivation).

In fact the DNR shows there was more fishing pressure in the ’90’s then as of late although I’m not sure that really means anything except some state employee trying to justify his job, right?

As far as the reports being out dated, that’s just BS. The DNR does sampling each and every year. There’s those darn facts again.

There’s always going to be the folks that think everything on the river should be kept to themselves, just like there’s always going to be the folks that want to share their pleasure fishing with others. Both sides should get use to it…’cause I can’t see it changing anytime soon. toast

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I think we should share the walleye and be able to use it as cut-bait. Caught a few 5 pounders this weekend that would have made great cut-bait. Make up for all the bait they were stealing off our hooks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

^^ I owe you another beer.

Buckeye86
    Inactive

Seems I sparked a fire under burger kings @$$! Seems to me a lot of good guys that used to report good fishing reports suddenly stopped doing them the last few years because of some of the same reasons I spoke of. Isn’t the “moderator” supposed to be the most adult person here and not act the way he does? Maybe we should exploit some of those catfish reports and pictures and locations of “honey holes” and see where that goes. Excuse me while I put my red nose on and act like a fool

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Who lets the females go?’ is closed to new replies.