White sturgeon

• Grizper

Hey guys just wondering if any of you have fished White Sturgeon in the US? I am planning on fishing in Washington state. Just have questions about some basic stuff like best time of year, gear choices ect.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

We were going to hire a guide…don’t ask which one because this was at least 7 years ago. My partner passed away on me and I haven’t had the itch since.

I went to some websites and searched for sturgeon. Once I started asking questions, there were plenty of people that were against fishing for the big girls and they made no bones about it. (pardon the pun, sturgeon don’t have bones).

The Fraser River in Canada has by far the largest population of large fish for the trophy catch and release fishermen. They can’t be taken out of the water, but then who has a crane on their boat anyway.

The hard part for me was to get a guide to answer an email.

Best time to go? Fall or whenever you can. You won’t catch a 20 footer around here.

Jacob was in British Colombia a few years back and reported this.

Jacob’s Trip

Charlie Vaughan
    On the river

I fished for them a few weeks last January. That 12ish day fishing trip was eye-opening and made me realize a goal of mine is to live in the PNW…

Fishing for those magical beasts is the most I’ve ever enjoyed fishing:)

As for a guide service, “BrokenBack Sturgeon Fishing” out of The Dalles in Oregon is a great option. It’s right across the Columbia from Washington, so close enough. Prices for a quality guide service don’t get better than theirs.

Hope you have a blast!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.