Whisky and Whiskey

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’m not a whiskey drinker, but….

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1703212241564.jpg

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

It’s always a good idea to warm up before the main event.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

waytogo

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1703383757459.jpg

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Looks like he is shopping for rum, so he is not working on my list yet.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Lindyrig – I did pick me up a bottle of the Bearface last week. Its rather good. I put it up there with the Pendleton Midnight. If forced to I’d probably rate the midnight slightly better but the bearface is real close. Last weekend I got a chance to try some Crown Royal Reserve. Needless to say that its now become my new Favorite for sipping. Then again at near 50.00 a bottle it better be. Another new item I tried last weekend was some liquor from a new distiller out of Brainard called Five Rocks. I know traditionalist will laugh at me, but they had a Whiskey infused with Coffee and Vanilla called Cowboy Coffee that I thought was excellent. They were set up doing tasting at two different liquor stores I stopped at. I probably had a few more samples than I should have between the 2 stops only about 5 minutes apart. I may have to pick a bottle of that up down the line. The Crown Reserve is on the list ahead of it for sure.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Hey thanks for the report FT. I finally just today picked up a few bottles of Bearface from St Cloud Liquors. I was somewhat driving through on my way to western MN for some more bird hunting. I drank some tonight with my father in law and we both were impressed. I still think it ranks as my favorite whiskey right now. I have some Pendleton at home but haven’t had the midnight yet. Appreciate the feedback.

Coletrain27

I’m gonna have to find some of that bearface to try. I have like 20 different brands at home right now but haven’t had that

Coletrain27

Well I found some today. It’s pretty smooth

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0128-scaled.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Just received my bottle and made a pour.
    Smooth yes at 85 proof. It will be a decent sipper.

Brad Dimond

In general, I have found most of these new craft-distilled American whiskies to be disappointing and they quickly are relegated to the minor leagues of use for things like soaking the Christmas cake and for whisky custard for the Christmas pudding. However… Brother Justus Cold Peat filtered is shockingly good for a craft distillery whiskey. Completely drinkable.

Went to O’Shaughnessy Distilling Co. a couple nights ago, may change your mind about domestic distilling. A friend with us had recently been on the tour, an interesting background story. Among the things they’ve done to bring a first class distillery to the Twin Cities was hire Master Distiller Brian Nation, former Master Distiller at Jameson, Redbreast and Midleton Very Rare whiskey’s.

We tried all of the whiskies, they also distill gin and vodka. I brought home a bottle of the Keeper’s Heart Irish Bourbon Whiskey. I suggest giving it a try.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Went to O’Shaughnessy Distilling Co. a couple nights ago, may change your mind about domestic distilling. A friend with us had recently been on the tour, an interesting background story. Among the things they’ve done to bring a first class distillery to the Twin Cities was hire Master Distiller Brian Nation, former Master Distiller at Jameson, Redbreast and Midleton Very Rare whiskey’s.

We tried all of the whiskies, they also distill gin and vodka. I brought home a bottle of the Keeper’s Heart Irish Bourbon Whiskey. I suggest giving it a try.

just for clarity, O’Shaughnessy has been sourcing their Irish whisky from Great Northern and their American whiskey from Ross & Squibb (MGP), so their current products show off their blending skills but are not yet an indication of their own distilling and aging.

with that caveat, those guys have a ton of capital and they did bring in one of the best Master Distillers for Irish whisky in the world, so it’s exciting to see how their products develop over the next 5 years. once they change to their own product i assume they’ll change to calling it Irish-style as well.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

In general, I have found most of these new craft-distilled American whiskies to be disappointing and they quickly are relegated to the minor leagues of use for things like soaking the Christmas cake and for whisky custard for the Christmas pudding.

Haha my brother gave me a bottle of J Carver bourbon a few years ago for this exact reason. It was from one of their first productions. He’s a sipper, while I’ll mix a cocktail, and when I said thanks I’m sure it will go fine with some 7up, he said make sure you have some coke on hand too. That one is still in the back of my cupboard waiting on a very dark day. I’ve heard they have really improved since then though, so maybe worth a revisit.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Sitting here drinking a whisky manhattan made with the bearface. It’s quickly became my go to whisky.

Attachments:
    1. image-1-scaled.jpg

2. image-scaled.jpg

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Nice, FishThumper glad you enjoy it!

robby
    Quad Cities

Try Templeton Rye, “The Good Stuff”. I love it and do not like many Ryes. Neat story behind it also.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.