While Andy was skiing

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was at the Masters of the Sky at Carpenters Nature Center.

We had an unexpected showing of a Golden Eagle that was way too cool!
    No matter which way he looked at you, he had a business expression on his face.

AND (drum roll please) I wanted to get over my fear of snakes so today was the day!
    Since I was about 4 years old when a garter snake slithered in front of me, I would rather see them in a rifle scope then anyplace else. 58 years later, I finally did something I would of bet money I would never do.

Yep, held one.

I’m not sure I’m good enough to pick up a poisonous snake yet, but I now feel confident that I can hold one without needing to change wardrobe afterwards. )

This is a 22 year old corn snake that seemed to like me.

The granddaughter, daughter and FW all said they really enjoyed the experience. I know they will never be any closer to falcons, hawks, owls, or a Golden Eagle.

Since CNC rents snowshoes, it sounds like that will be the next short adventure.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5193.jpg

2. Jen.jpg

3. BK-First-Hold.jpg

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

You picked a good day to not wear the white pants. You know, just in case…… redface

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I’m damn proud of ya bud….It takes a man the face his (sometime irrational) fears….. waytogo

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

You picked a good day to not wear the white pants. You know, just in case…… redface

Best response yet.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Oh Hell NO!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

shock

jon wheeler

So… guessing my girl would still be out-of-bounds?

Attachments:
    1. Kabe-07-179eCompressed.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

So… guessing my girl would still be out-of-bounds?

“out-of-bounds” would be putting it mildly. (at least for me) I don’t mind snakes minding their own business, as long as I see them before I FEEL them. I hate it when one comes slithering over your boot and pantleg while out turkey hunting.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Oh way to go BK! This is so cool! I should have gone. I love to hold snakes (innuendo aside fellas, that one’s too easy) and critters. Im not usually quick enough to catch wild snakes but I get ahold of frogs and toads pretty well. I got to hold a giant millipede once at a pet store – all those legs felt really cool crawling around my arms! mrgreen

Reptile show is coming up on March 10th in Bloomington. I can’t wait!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I never trusted a critter with no arms and legs.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My son and I catch and hold snakes all spring and summer. It’s awesome they are a fun critter. And are amazing trout bait when hiking secluded areas

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Sharon, they have a blanding’s turtle that would out for a short time. They like to “nip” a little so he wasn’t out for very long.

Jen is the director in case anyone wants to tackle a phobia… (Denny). whistling

The Masters of the Sky program was a hour long and touched on a number of predators which were all interesting in their own way. Along with the public showing today and tomorrow, they drop into a number of schools and treat the kiddos.

In the photo below where the barn owl is flying, the people looking at their phones never had a clue there was a bird flying that close to them unless they felt the wind from their wings after it flew by. They are that silent.

Only a few will ever get closer to these creatures.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5187.jpg

2. IMG_5182.jpg

Pailofperch

I love the pics of amazing things happening, and always a few folks on their phone. Life is passing you by! Literally.

Pailofperch

Sharon, I might bump into you at the reptile show. I grew up in AZ and had a huge collection of lizards n stuff. At one time I had over 40 aquariums filled with crawly things. I’m now trying to get get my kids hooked.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20180911_210356532.jpg

2. 0923151954.jpg

Sharon
    SE Metro

Oh cool! Barn owls are so pretty. Owls are a neat creature. Out on a late night four wheeler ride years ago, we parked on the bridge of the creek on the property to look at the water, moon, sneak a kiss. And we heard an owl start hooting nearby. It was so close and sounded fake! I started laughing my loud obnoxious laugh and I’m sure the owl was thinking, “My God that poor creature must be dying in pain!”.

I hadn’t heard a love owl hooting before that and they really do sound just like in cartoons.

PailofPerch, that’s awesome! I bet AZ has lots of neat reptiles that live there in the wild, so it would be easy to develop an interest in them. I’ve never been to the reptile show, so if you see a woman with curly red hair squealing and waving her arms in excitement of all the cool animals that’s probably me. )

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Good job BK for trying to get over your phobia.I was wondering how many 12 ounce cans of confidence it required?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I never knew how much of a borbon fan I was until Saturday morning. coffee

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Nice job BK now the next thing is to eat one they are some of the sweetest meat one could ever eat, texture a little different thou.

Lived in Georgia we would go snake hunting with a 22 and waders for water Moccasin for supper.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Not a chance Tom.

Sharon
    SE Metro

What a fun show at the MN Reptile Show and I got to hold lots of cool animals! My favorite was a tie between the skink and the snake. Someone had a hedgehog there but I found him awkward to hold. He was awfully pokey.

It was busy and I didn’t see any tarantulas unfortunately. There were some exhibitors with large snakes but only those looking to purchase could hold them.

Attachments:
    1. PicsArt_03-10-03.37.56.png

Pailofperch

Super cool. I couldn’t make it. That chameleon is the greatest!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Glad I forgot about it. Looks like you had a good time Sharon!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.