Which New Vexilar to get

• Nick Schmitz

I’m looking at getting a new Vexilar this year. Can’t decide if I should go with the FLX-20 or spend a little more for FLX-28. Any pros or cons would be appreciated.

gonehunting

I have both and like both very well. The auto depth is a nice option but not a must have. FLX28 has been a good shallow water unit. If money is the deciding factor go with the best you can afford. You’ll be happy with either.

Matthew Sandys

I have 18 and 28, you really can’t make a wrong choice. If you like to fine-tune and do shallow go with the 28, if not get the 20.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

If you have the money, go with the 28. You’d be happy with either though.

gonehunting

Don’t be afraid to look for used. Usually you can tell by pics in the ad if they’ve been abused or not. I’ve bought a couple FLX28s for $400-450 in the off season and were like new. Scheels just ran a sale two weeks ago for $560 plus tax on the 28 ProPack. A lot of people selling now to get the FLX30.

Dave in Mpls
    Wayzata, MN

I faced the same decision earlier this week. For my use (90% skid house on Mille Lacs), I went with the FLX-20 Genz pack. Scheels currently has them for $429 – I price-matched that at Cabela’s (had a few 100 in points I wanted to use), plus got another 5% off per their price-match policy. I then added the $50 Marcum Brute 10AH lithium & charger from Scheels, and will use the included SLA for a spare for a HDS-7 setup. Could probably have done a bit better on price, but you have to pull the trigger eventually!

Mike
    Eyota MN

I found a good deal for the flx 20 genz pack on Fishbrain. Had scheels price match since I had gift cards saved up. I wanted the pro pack. But I didn’t see any sales for the pro pack. Dude at scheels said the pro packs rarely go on sale. Unboxed it and messed with it a little. Seems pretty damn nice !

travis mccolley

Check out Vexilars website for refurb units, they have the same warranty and if you go to the vex store in bloomington you can get a free hat and whatnot with it.

I have a FLX-28 I have had for 5-6 years, I love it.

The kid got a FLX-20 last year and really liked the clarity over his old fl-18

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Just to remind everyone, Vexilar is based out of Bloomington and they are absolutely fantastic people to work with. I bought a broken fl-18 off ebay 8-9 years ago, brought it in, and they fixed it up in a couple of hours and less than $100, and I haven’t had any problems since. They also replaced an out of warranty tri-beam that was cracking, no questions asked. Shop confidently that you’re buying a solid work horse and that they stand behind their products and will make it right.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Just to remind everyone, Vexilar is based out of Bloomington and they are absolutely fantastic people to work with.

x2 I brought an FL-8 that has been through everything and was probably 30+ years old in there, and they fixed it up like brand new, new battery and the newer charger for $80.

fishnutbob
    Walker, Mn.

Vexilar FL-28 Love it….Or newer…Never leave home without my Vexilar…………

hnd

i’d prefer the 20 because i’ve not been impressed at all with the proview ducer in any of the situations ive used the 28.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.