which electronics? Lowrance?, Hummingbird?

• RedRanger

Here we go again….I have a 2007 ranger fisherman with a Lowrance lcs-26c 7inch I had that I used primarily for mapping on MilleLacs and a Lowrance HDS5 2 gen that I use for water depth/graph. The smaller sits atop a dash mounted lcc-26c. ….now my older LCX-26c starts and shuts down…so am probably will have to replace it. I can put in a slightly larger unit in the panel…..maybe 9″
    1-Should I stick with Lowrance? Seems like every 5 years they die , anyway.

2-Are there noise issues when you have 2 manufacturers…Its nice to have both units combo map and graph in case one dies…..
    Like it did today….I leave in three days for LOTW….

Whats easier to use and dependable?
    Is a combo unit and sidescan available?

David Blais

I was running gen 2 touch next to a helix 12 si. Yes there was interference. I just shut off the transducer on the helix and used the mapping.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I’ve used both brands quite a bit and they both have their advantages. The 2d IMO is hands down better on the Lowrance. It’s extremely crisp and clear. But the mapping is way better on the Hummingbird. I’m currently trying to figure out which one has better side imaging. I think at this point I’m leaning towards the Bird. Currently I run two Gen 3 Lowrances and love them but my guiding partner runs Birds and I think his SI is better. Being my waters are getting clearer every year SI is becoming more important. I think my next units will be the one I feel has the best SI. Good luck with your decision.

David Blais

I just ordered a new trophy 205 with 2 solix 12s, I’ll be excited to try them out

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

My LCX 38C started dying recently and I just replaced it with a HB Helix 9 Chirp. I like buttons versus touch screen. I also felt like Lowrance pricing was higher for comparable features.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I like buttons versus touch screen.

I have the Helix 7 and the HDS gen 3. I like the touch screen much better then the buttons. LOL! Figures eh?

I run navionics in both units mainly on the river (like 99% of the time) they seem the same to me.

It’s really to the point where either brands will do you well. Bird might be a bit less expensive I guess.

CaptainMusky

<I have the Helix 7 and the HDS gen 3. I like the touch screen much better then the buttons. LOL! Figures eh?

I like the touch screen better if it also has buttons. I have a HDS Gen2 Touch (few buttons) and though I haven’t run into any issues thus far, I think I would appreciate also having the buttons especially if I use it in the winter. Currently I do not.
    I much prefer my touch unit over my older HDS Gen2 non touch units. The navigating it much faster with touch.
    Comparing Bird and Lowrance it is pretty much flip of the coin for the vast majority of people. I think Bird might have the upper hand right now with side imaging because of the higher frequency with their Mega imaging on the upscale units. Otherwise I still think Lowrance is better side and downscan and 2D.
    If you intend to network your units, Lowrance is stronger in this area IMO, but many people don’t do that.
    I run Lowrance, been very happy with them. Some of my units are 7 years old (original HDS) and I have not had 1 single problem with them.
    The other thing to consider is if you want to network with a capable trolling motor. By network I mean, more than just sonar. If you want to control the unit from the GPS you will need a Bird for MinnKota or Lowrance for Motorguide.
    Mapping wise there is really no advantage to any of them because there are so many mapping options for them.
    For the money I don’t think you can beat the Lowrance Elite TI series. This will do what the vast majority of fishermen want.

DonG

The Ford/Chevy thing keeps going on but I’m a died in the wool Lorance user. Crisp, Fast, and the Charts are awesome. Downscan/Sidescan and Chirp all tied into the Auto pilot on the Trolling motor.

Attachments:
    1. helm.jpg

jmaj101
    Hastings,MN

I purchased the lowrance elite 9-ti earlier this year and couldn’t be happier. Still have not figured out the little tricks and what not but its very user friendly and have not had a single issue with it yet. My personal preference but when I have been out with guys with the birds the target seperation seems to lack a little to the lowrance. Side imaging seems to be a little better on the bird. To each there own on either or as either are going to make you happy.

dewman90

I generally am bass fishing and we have 899SI bird.

Are any of you ever able to see fish when you get into shallow bays/weeds/pads/bulrush?

I have yet to see anything. I have tried a million combos of settings suggested on these boards.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I generally am bass fishing and we have 899SI bird.

Are any of you ever able to see fish when you get into shallow bays/weeds/pads/bulrush?

I have yet to see anything. I have tried a million combos of settings suggested on these boards.

Yep. That is what side imaging is for… Looking outside the normal 2d cone.

I’d suggest bbcboards hummingbird image interpretation and start learning.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.