Which catfish rod

• chris
    northern Illinois

I am in the market for a new catfish rod and was wondering what some of you have and like. I will be putting a Abu 6500 on it and I plan to throw live bait or big cut bait while I am channel fishing and also I plan to target flathead with it this year. As far as size of fish I want to catch bigguns but in reality it will probably be bigger channels mostly. I don’t plan on using pounds of sinkers. I will mainly be fishing pool 13 on the miss. I have been looking at twc whisker whip and the lighter whisker seeker rod but the shipping on them is killer, I have heard good things about the ugly stick tiger rods but not sure if my gander mountain can get them, if I order one from cabelas or the like its getting pretty close to the price of the twc rod. I am replacing a 2 year old b&m silver cat that the rod seat broke and the biggest cat I’ve caught on it was a 12 pounder so I will not be getting another one of those again. Thanks for all help you can give me.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Unfortunately shipping will kill most rod prices. ( The best bang for the buck I have found is the American Spirit Nite Stick Pro. Usually priced between 40 and 50 bucks.

American Spirit Nite Stick Pro Series Fishing Rod with Cork Handles.

https://www.catfishconnection.com/Store/Details/PHNSP76/RODS/PHCAST/AM-SPIRIT-NITE-STICK/

I’ve seen everything from 3 lb channels to 80lb sturgeon caught on that rod. It doesn’t disappoint, especially at that price. I’ve also been very impressed with my Okuma Battlecat, which is a bit higher priced than the American Spirit.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

If you happen to fish Pool 4 near Red Wing, stop into Everts or with a call, 4 Seasons Sports in Red Wing.

They have a Team Catfish I-Cat Carbon Fiber rod in stock. Normally $149.00. It’s going out the door to the first person with cash in hand for $100. tax and shipping extra of course.

I’ve used four of them since they came out 3 years ago for guiding. Very good rod and very sensitive with the carbon fiber. I was worried that I would break one when they first came out…still have my back up in my camper. )

Light enough tip for sturgeon, light enough weight for the 3 pound channels yet has the backbone for the largest of Minnesota’s Lake Sturgeon and Flatheads. I’m not sure how it would do with a 120 Blue though! You’ll have to let us know. )

Lifetime limited warranty as well.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I am not sure what your price point is but I had Thorne Brothers make me a custom muskie trolling rod for $200. It ended up replacing my muskie trolling rod, muskie sucker rod, muskie vertical jigging rod, catfish rod, and sturgeon rod! This rod is built on a fiberglass blank much like St. Croix E glass Series catfish rod. The blank is FM90BK and is 9’ long. I had 6” taken off the tip. It is supper sensitive and can handle almost anything. I know of people who troll a 24” Wishmaster on them.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I just picked up two Rail Splitters from Mudbum’s in Des Moines Ia., anxious to try them out. 8′, 10 guides plus tip,handle has 12″ on both sides of the reel, metal reel seat.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I’m sorry, they’re in Urbandale, Is.

mr-special
    MPLS

Chk out Rippin Lips rods. I have 8’H baitcaster and have caught everything from tiny cats to hug flats and sturgeons. Tip loads up nice for C-hooks. They’re around $50 and I got one from Amazon wit minimal shippin cost

rschmidty

I love the Ugly Stik Tiger rods, but admit I do more sturgeon fishing than catfishing.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’m a huge fan of rippin lip rods.
    M for channels

I tend to use entirely heavier gear for flatheads and in my eyes there’s no combo for both IMO

And entirely heavier yet gear for Sturgeon

chris
    northern Illinois

Thanks for all the replys, I think I’m going to look into the ripping lips rod, the medium heavy is on amazon if I don’t like it I think return shipping is free

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I love the Ugly Stik Tiger rods, but admit I do more sturgeon fishing than catfishing.

Seconding the Tiger rods. Well made, strong, light, and relatively cheap.

chris
    northern Illinois

Well looking at it again they do not have free return shipping on everything, in that case I might just bite the bullet and order a medium, there is a youtube video of a guy cathing a 22 pound channel and it looked like it handled it well. I’m a little far north for blues but a few of my friends have been talking about a trip to Kentucky lake or the Mississippi down to southern IL for some blues.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Just for the heck of it check out wwwMudbuMs.com not only do they handle the Rail Spitter rods, they’ve got a really cool ditty pole set up!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Well looking at it again they do not have free return shipping on everything, in that case I might just bite the bullet and order a medium, there is a youtube video of a guy cathing a 22 pound channel and it looked like it handled it well. I’m a little far north for blues but a few of my friends have been talking about a trip to Kentucky lake or the Mississippi down to southern IL for some blues.

If you can actually get into 20# channels, like on the upper red River, you’ll likely enjoy the H rippin lips.
    Brad Durick turned me onto the M for channels. He upsize for those Lockport trips, I believe to the H.

Channel cats only up to 15# you’ll like the m 7’6″ and the ones in that 15# range will work that rod good.

I really like these rods because of the slow loading tip for the many days when cats want to chew on the bait a bunch before biting down.

catmando
    wis

Here’s my 2 cents If you always fish with a partner or 2 a long rod is great, I have many, but if you fish alone in a boat it’s damm hard to get a real big flat close by yourself. Buy some 7ft rods too. DK

chris
    northern Illinois

The mudbum rod looks amazing but it is way out of my price range, I would like to keep it under $60 with shipping. I really appreciate all the help and whatever rod I get I will be sure to give a report on how I like it. I have been looking at my rods and reels I have and I think I am set on channel rods, I have 4 medium combos that I use for channels so I think I am going to dedicate this rod for flathead which is very new to me. I’m going to make my decision this weekend and like I said I will give a review on whatever power rippin lips rod I go with.

mr-special
    MPLS

8’H works great for flats. I run nothing but circle hooks. It also doubles as a sucker Muskie rod

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.