Where to catch/net mudpuppies?

• chex

My young daughters are intrigued with these axolotl creatures they’ve seen on YouTube. We are a hiking family and we’ve caught all kinds of amphibians and reptiles. I mentioned a few weeks ago that before they were born, I used to hand catch mud puppies in Trego, Wisconsin. I don’t think we can accomplish this one. At least not around here.

Does anyone know of a shallow creek where we can spot one? We live in the cities but we travel all over every weekend to hike and fish.

Any help would be appreciated.

FinnyDinDin

There are tons in the st croix. They can be annoying when trying to sturgeon fish in the winter. Maybe try there or the feeder creeks that lead to it.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

In Minnesota, mudpuppies inhabit the Mississippi, St. Croix, Minnesota, and Red river drainages. Most recorded sightings have been on the state’s eastern and western edges, except for a few records along the Minnesota River.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/eco/mcbs/mudpuppy.html

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Out in Prescott, north of the bridge around point Douglas park. Lay down a sturgeon rig, you’ll catch mud puppies almost guaranteed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.